Subaru Club of Guam
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sway bars anyone? Close by and possible consideration....

5 posters

Go down

Sway bars anyone? Close by and possible consideration.... Empty Sway bars anyone? Close by and possible consideration....

Post  catgut Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:35 pm

Found this while looking at our P.I. brother's forum:

http://subaruclub.ph/forum/index.php?topic=3811.0;topicseen

Not sure how much shipping would be but balikbayan might be an option Laughing

J
catgut
catgut
SCG Technican

Number of posts : 466
Registration date : 2008-12-03

http://guamsubieowners.org/

Back to top Go down

Sway bars anyone? Close by and possible consideration.... Empty Re: Sway bars anyone? Close by and possible consideration....

Post  dc Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:34 pm

http://subaruclub.ph/forum/index.php?topic=3810.0

We have complete sway bars and group n springs.

dc

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Back to top Go down

Sway bars anyone? Close by and possible consideration.... Empty Re: Sway bars anyone? Close by and possible consideration....

Post  catgut Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:58 am

dc wrote:http://subaruclub.ph/forum/index.php?topic=3810.0

After seeing your ad on SCP for these kits I was drooling! They look like nice but I'm not sure about the rates in contrast to the OEM. What I saw was the progressive rates; how do you interpret them dc? I think it was 150/270 if I am not mistaken. Does this denote an initial uncompressed <normal ride height> rate of 150 and a compressed rate of 270? A little explanation can help us decipher this. Can you tell us a little more about your springs/suspension packages? Thanks!

J
catgut
catgut
SCG Technican

Back to top Go down

Post  gummx97 Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:05 am

Can we bring these car parts to Guam without any problems with customs/tax? How would these bars and/or springs be packed, I think the dimensions might be considered oversize.
gummx97
gummx97
SCG Vice-President

Number of posts : 549
Registration date : 2008-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post  catgut Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:14 am

gummx97 wrote:Can we bring these car parts to Guam without any problems with customs/tax? How would these bars and/or springs be packed, I think the dimensions might be considered oversize.

When I purchased my sway bars they came in a box roughly 4' x 1.5' x 8" and it wasn't heavy at all. Just depends on how it's packed I guess. The springs came in a box that was roughly 18" x 18" x 18" no big deal.

To answer your question about customs/tax in my opinion, as long as we're not purchasing DOT monitored/controlled items such as tires, glass, lenses, and speedometers we should be fine.

J
catgut
catgut
SCG Technican

Back to top Go down

Post  gummx97 Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:31 am

This opens up possibilities then as what Jesse says, let me see what the limits are for dimensions in the airlines, just in case.
gummx97
gummx97
SCG Vice-President

Back to top Go down

Post  dc Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:24 am

catgut wrote:

After seeing your ad on SCP for these kits I was drooling! They look like nice but I'm not sure about the rates in contrast to the OEM. What I saw was the progressive rates; how do you interpret them dc? I think it was 150/270 if I am not mistaken. Does this denote an initial uncompressed <normal ride height> rate of 150 and a compressed rate of 270? A little explanation can help us decipher this. Can you tell us a little more about your springs/suspension packages? Thanks!

J

The initial 150 spring rate is to compensate for the roads irregularities making it comfortable and the second spring rate 270 is the effective rate whet the you reach the limit of compression of the first rate. The 270 will give you the performance. We developed the same front and rear spring rate to reduce the understeer on turn in and mid corner which equates to a good exit speed. A set of sways were also developed to optimize the full potential. This set is GROUP N legal.

I hope this info helps.

dc

Back to top Go down

Post  catgut Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:09 am

^^^^ Thanks for the clarification Dominique Very Happy

These rates sound like they'll work for our roads on Guam too Cool some are VERY bumpy and these daily driven cars sometimes lack that civility when highly modified. Rudy always complains about his factory STi suspension being too harsh/stiff! Shocked I keep telling him this is the way they were designed & he should be thankful he has such a robust suspension off the showroom floor! Just harassing you Rudy Razz There's no hope in heck that LOCTITE will help my suspension in this area.

J
catgut
catgut
SCG Technican

Back to top Go down

Post  dc Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:46 am

gummx97 wrote:

Can we bring these car parts to Guam without any problems with customs/tax? How would these bars and/or springs be packed, I think the dimensions might be considered oversize.

Pwede yan lahat, yes we can send them

dc

Back to top Go down

Post  dc Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:50 am

catgut wrote:^^^^ Thanks for the clarification Dominique Very Happy

These rates sound like they'll work for our roads on Guam too Cool some are VERY bumpy and these daily driven cars sometimes lack that civility when highly modified. Rudy always complains about his factory STi suspension being too harsh/stiff! Shocked I keep telling him this is the way they were designed & he should be thankful he has such a robust suspension off the showroom floor! Just harassing you Rudy Razz There's no hope in heck that LOCTITE will help my suspension in this area.

J

Factory springs are linear in rate or single rate, problem also with the factory spring is that the front is too high so it under steers when your on the throttle.

dc

Back to top Go down

Post  catgut Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:14 am

dc wrote:Factory springs are linear in rate or single rate, problem also with the factory spring is that the front is too high so it under steers when your on the throttle.

We all know this all too well in my '08 WRX, right guys?! I'm disappointed that my Cobb springs are what they are and I'm actively looking for a better replacement but the factory STi Pinks seem to be the only reasonable solution for an OEM WRX strut package at the moment. I've read that the rear struts tend to bottom and leak after awhile with the Cobb springs Mad I definitely want a stiffer suspension but I want to make sure the strut valving is a matching combination with the springs I choose so as not to upset this balance. I already have a set of front & rear sway bars <22mm FR, 19mm RR> but already feel it's limitations in our tight autocross courses. If you can recommend a package that can get me close to an STi suspension I may strongly consider provided I have the cash outlay.

Desires: slightly lowered, stiffer controlled spring with a decent public road ride quality, more front-end bite for turn-in, and the ability to induce oversteer at will if needed. All our courses thus far are <45mph and are usually very tight paved parking-lot courses.

J
catgut
catgut
SCG Technican

Back to top Go down

Post  gummx97 Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:29 am

aha!!! Linear rate springs!!! now the springs that dominique is offering gets more enticing than ever!!! The initial rate is "ok" for daily drives and the secondary rate is optimal for...well...besides loctite, autox! bounce
gummx97
gummx97
SCG Vice-President

Back to top Go down

Post  GuamSTI Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:56 am

Shipping? The Philippines is 3 hours away and $295 plane fare? Shipping it was not very big. If the post office accepts this sizes the airlines would too.
GuamSTI
GuamSTI

Number of posts : 748

Back to top Go down

Post  dc Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:22 am

catgut wrote:
dc wrote:Factory springs are linear in rate or single rate, problem also with the factory spring is that the front is too high so it under steers when your on the throttle.

We all know this all too well in my '08 WRX, right guys?! I'm disappointed that my Cobb springs are what they are and I'm actively looking for a better replacement but the factory STi Pinks seem to be the only reasonable solution for an OEM WRX strut package at the moment. I've read that the rear struts tend to bottom and leak after awhile with the Cobb springs Mad I definitely want a stiffer suspension but I want to make sure the strut valving is a matching combination with the springs I choose so as not to upset this balance. I already have a set of front & rear sway bars <22mm FR, 19mm RR> but already feel it's limitations in our tight autocross courses. If you can recommend a package that can get me close to an STi suspension I may strongly consider provided I have the cash outlay.

Desires: slightly lowered, stiffer controlled spring with a decent public road ride quality, more front-end bite for turn-in, and the ability to induce oversteer at will if needed. All our courses thus far are <45mph and are usually very tight paved parking-lot courses.

J

J,

I didn't know that your car is a 08. Now this is the height of the springs installed on a 08 after installation and a drive around the block. But now since the springs settled already, it's a bit lower that what you see in the picture by around 4-5mm.

STI 08 Orange Spring on a factory size tires[/size]

Sway bars anyone? Close by and possible consideration.... F_DSC4913m_fb8135d

Sway bars anyone? Close by and possible consideration.... F_DSC4919m_027a240

dc

Back to top Go down

Post  dc Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:37 am

This is the springs on a 07 model for your reference.

Sway bars anyone? Close by and possible consideration.... F_DSC0504m_a5c06f8 Very Happy

Sway bars anyone? Close by and possible consideration.... F_DSC0319editm_fac4a70

dc

Back to top Go down

Post  GuamSTI Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:32 am

Nice, very nice!
GuamSTI
GuamSTI

Back to top Go down

Post  catgut Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:40 am

dc wrote:J,

I didn't know that your car is a 08. Now this is the height of the springs installed on a 08 after installation and a drive around the block. But now since the springs settled already, it's a bit lower that what you see in the picture by around 4-5mm.

STI 08 Orange Spring on a factory size tires[/size]

Sway bars anyone? Close by and possible consideration.... F_DSC4913m_fb8135d

Sway bars anyone? Close by and possible consideration.... F_DSC4919m_027a240

Darn, can't view pics on this PC Sad I'll wait until later to see them & get back to you. Yes, the '08 WRB WRX and trying to keep my head above the water while swimming with a sea of STIs over here is a challenge Laughing you figure when compared to these beasts I'm underpowered, spongy body-roll-happy suspension, TALL gear ratios, heavier front-end, and swimming with SHARKS is pretty daunting to say the least! I need all the help I can get! But at the end of the day Rudy asserts that having LOCTITE gives me the 'edge'....I'm afraid of the day he gets some LOCTITE on his car affraid

J
catgut
catgut
SCG Technican

Back to top Go down

Post  gummx97 Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:12 am

Suspect
gummx97
gummx97
SCG Vice-President

Back to top Go down

Post  dc Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:02 am

dc wrote:This is the springs on a 07 model for your reference.

Sway bars anyone? Close by and possible consideration.... F_DSC0504m_a5c06f8 Very Happy

Sway bars anyone? Close by and possible consideration.... F_DSC0319editm_fac4a70

This one on a 245 40x18, 8.5" wheels. Very Happy

dc

Back to top Go down

Post  gummx97 Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:23 am

I went to the ecutek website, and it shows a CD and cable. Is that pretty much it? Besides the computer, of course.

PM me how much this costs.

What are the advantages of this system compared to accessport? Just curious, since that system is all i know of, aside from the fact that ecutek looks more flexible and more options.

The drawback with having all these options, is it makes the user "dangerous"

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
gummx97
gummx97
SCG Vice-President

Back to top Go down

Post  dc Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:02 am

gummx97 wrote:I went to the ecutek website, and it shows a CD and cable. Is that pretty much it? Besides the computer, of course.

PM me how much this costs.

What are the advantages of this system compared to accessport? Just curious, since that system is all i know of, aside from the fact that ecutek looks more flexible and more options.

The drawback with having all these options, is it makes the user "dangerous"

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

I do not suggest that the owner has his own tool. This is very dangerous and not a toy like the electronic stuff like apex,afc and other blabla. This tool will have full control of the ecu like a fully programmable ecu. FYI EcuTek will not grant any body who likes to buy the tool, there should be the know how, meaning familiar and experienced tuner.

In regards to the Accessport, i don't think you can't tailor the tuning, because it has pre programmed maps in it and you just choose. That's what i heard, you also need someone that knows how to use the tool.

For me, not to give the owner accessibility on the ecu because of the risk and that's where the problem of blaming starts. I will email them now and ask how much the software is. Vriants: flash99 for subaru late 98-2001, flash02 for subaru 2002-2004 cable throttle, flash04 subaru 2004-2007 drive by wire, flash can for subaru 2008-on. You can tell what is the most popular model so you can decide which one you get first.

dc

Back to top Go down

Post  GuamSTI Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:04 am

Hmm, good points
GuamSTI
GuamSTI

Back to top Go down

Post  dc Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:34 am

Guys,

I just re sent my inquiry to our EcuTek principal in UK. I hope to here from them this afternoon. I am asking them to grant a dealer in your location. I was just talking to them yesterday over the phone and i mentioned your groups interest in the product. They are just busy working on the finishing detail for the new tool for the Nissan GT-R which i am waiting for also.

I will keep you posted on the development regarding your inquiry. I also want to know who will you guys nominate to be your tuner in the group, this way i can endorse his name to them for the training.

dc

Back to top Go down

Post  subantha Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:21 am

dc wrote:
dc wrote:This is the springs on a 07 model for your reference.

This one on a 245 40x18, 8.5" wheels. Very Happy

What a Face DROOL
subantha
subantha

Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down