Subaru Club of Guam
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Whiteline Anti Lift Kit and front Camber Bolt install

5 posters

Go down

Whiteline Anti Lift Kit and front  Camber Bolt install Empty Whiteline Anti Lift Kit and front Camber Bolt install

Post  catgut Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:58 pm

I recently installed a Whiteline ALK (Anti Lift Kit) on my ’08 5-door WRX. I had a friend of mine carry it back from Sydney; the kit cost about $115.00 at that time of exchange rate. The kit had a set (left & right) of polyurethane bushings, top & bottom polyurethane end-caps, adjustable metal eccentrics, and silicon lube. The instructions were very clear and made the install very smooth. The only thing it didn't have were the specifics of torque specifications but it did advise to refer to the OEM manual for this info as well as control arm removal & installation. Be warned, if you attempt this DO NOT final tighten the control arm fasteners until the car is lowered and the suspension is fully loaded; otherwise you may cause undue binding in the bushings and damage.

I took some pictures but only after I had installed the new bushings in the front lower control arms (these bushings replace the OEM rubber <extremely soft> tennis-ball bushings located on the aft portion of the front lower control arms). The two hardest things to do is to remove the control arms; moderately difficult on jack-stands (thanks Rudy!) and pressing out the OEM bushings which have a metal outer sleeve (see reference picture). I used a 15-ton press along with the proper diameter press adapters to get these bad boys out. All told, I think it took about 3-hours to get this job done not including a wheel alignment. Note: I also added a set of Whiteline front camber bolts in addition to the OEM camber bolts to allow me to achieve a net total of -2.5 degrees of camber up front!

Enough text, here are the pictures. My driving impressions are on the next post:

Here are both front lower control arms with ALK installed
Whiteline Anti Lift Kit and front  Camber Bolt install ALK01a

Here is a shot of the components of the kit with the main bushing already installed
Whiteline Anti Lift Kit and front  Camber Bolt install ALK02

It all goes together on the control arm with generaous amounts of silicon lube supplied....
Whiteline Anti Lift Kit and front  Camber Bolt install ALK03

more of how it goes together
Whiteline Anti Lift Kit and front  Camber Bolt install ALK04

Pic from above showing the metal eccentric (twist to adjust caster, small degree of camber adjustment too)
Whiteline Anti Lift Kit and front  Camber Bolt install ALK05

Installed on the WRX
Whiteline Anti Lift Kit and front  Camber Bolt install ALK06

The OEM uber-soft bushing; I can seriously wiggle the center portion with my thumb & index finger, no wonder they're swapped out for firmer ones and our cars' steering feels so numb!
Whiteline Anti Lift Kit and front  Camber Bolt install OEMfctrlarmbushing

J

Last edited by catgut on Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:19 am; edited 2 times in total
catgut
catgut
SCG Technican

Number of posts : 466
Registration date : 2008-12-03

http://guamsubieowners.org/

Back to top Go down

Whiteline Anti Lift Kit and front  Camber Bolt install Empty Re: Whiteline Anti Lift Kit and front Camber Bolt install

Post  catgut Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:15 pm

Driving impressions:

After installing the ALK, the additional camber bolts, and realigning the suspension & steering I can say that the car feels much more firm and predictable when steering. The steering is more responsive and under acceleration and braking the car's attitude stays more neutral (it doesn't dive as much under braking or squat under acceleration). This helps control weight transfer and quickens the car's reaction to steering input. Although more harsh (in terms of ride comfort) it's very streetable and the benefits are remarkable.

I've run through 2-autocross events with this set-up and I like how it takes the corners as opposed to OEM bushings and coming from only -1.5 degrees of front camber per side. Caster increased about 0.4 degrees and this helps with keeping my dynamic camber much more suitable for tight corner turns. Now, I'm able to lower my tire pressures during events and sidewall roll-over has been drastically reduced. It really bites in the turns but I still get understeer tendencies just not as pronounced as OEM.

For the amount of time & cash outlay I think this is a very wise investment and the benefits are measurable in autocross. For the daily driver, maybe not a real concern. For the avid autocrosser it's a definite thing to consider if you want to get the most bite and turn-in out of your Subie afro

Total expense to include the camber bolts and wheel alignment:
Whiteline ALK $115.00
Whiteline front camber bolts $27.00
Install for ALK and camber bolts FREE (I have my perks as a tech guy Cool)
Wheel alignment to my aggressive specs FREE (more perks! yay!)

Investment = $142.00

Now I'm considering a rear camber kit and polyurethane bushings for my rear carrier & subframe to keep the back-end more predictable and to induce more oversteer on-demand affraid

I hope this write-up helps some of you decide on this upgrade. Let me know if you have any questions.

J
catgut
catgut
SCG Technican

Back to top Go down

Whiteline Anti Lift Kit and front  Camber Bolt install Empty Re: Whiteline Anti Lift Kit and front Camber Bolt install

Post  gummx97 Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:09 am

Now I'm considering a rear camber kit and polyurethane bushings for my rear carrier & subframe to keep the back-end more predictable and to induce more oversteer on-demand

this is funny, it's like taking a step backwards from AWD into RWD...you should've gotten a Z!!!!

Or as we heard under top secret clearance...buy an EVO just like...you know who!!!
gummx97
gummx97
SCG Vice-President

Number of posts : 549
Registration date : 2008-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post  gummx97 Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:11 am

Total expense to include the camber bolts and wheel alignment:
Whiteline ALK $115.00
Whiteline front camber bolts $27.00
Install for ALK and camber bolts FREE (I have my perks as a tech guy )
Wheel alignment to my aggressive specs FREE (more perks! yay!)

Investment = $142.00

Holding out on us...eh?? Anti-lift kit???
gummx97
gummx97
SCG Vice-President

Back to top Go down

Post  catgut Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:33 am

Not holding out, just haven't had the time to post this, too busy with family, job, band, etc. Wink

I actually installed this back in April and wanted to get some "seat time" with the kits for a better write-up since I lacked install pics.

Step backwards? Never! The Z is only a 2-seater & lacks the sound & punch of my Subie. Even if I do compete with one I wouldn't feel too bad getting beat by considering it's a thoroughbred sports car & not a small family sedan with a hatchback Smile Wink Cool

J

Last edited by catgut on Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:13 am; edited 1 time in total
catgut
catgut
SCG Technican

Back to top Go down

Post  catgut Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:13 am

GuamSTI wrote:I would like to install a few more parts to my suspension but I do not have the perks like some people do... Sad

To clarify, when I say "perks" I'm referring to the fact that I wrench on my own car (like we all do here in SCG Smile ) so install is FREE! Unless I'm extremely pressed for time in other areas of life I'm ok with this. Working on the driveway or garage is no easy feat when you all you have is cardboard for a creeper and basic hand-tools but that's 1/2 the fun! I also get to spend time with my sons as they help dad & bust knuckles along-side me Smile

I do have an alignment "perk" but considering that I do pay a little for it I still do the work and take great satisfaction in doing it because I get decent results; I consider it FREE or really close Wink Just my point of view.

You know I'll help if I have the time to spare as I'm sure others on here will offer a lending hand too Jay! Let's get those other parts installed! Alignments can be worked out & are priced waaay more attractive where I get mine done Cool let's talk to the service manager.

J
catgut
catgut
SCG Technican

Back to top Go down

Post  gummx97 Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:48 am

hhmm..Ed volunteered to clean my rims!
gummx97
gummx97
SCG Vice-President

Back to top Go down

Post  tempest24 Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:52 pm

damn j! adding and adding to be the most out fitted autox subie on island! jay watch out!!! Razz
tempest24
tempest24
SCG Forum Master

Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2008-12-01

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#/tempest24?ref=profile

Back to top Go down

Post  catgut Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:12 pm

gummx97 wrote:hhmm..Ed volunteered to clean my rims!

That's a perk

J
catgut
catgut
SCG Technican

Back to top Go down

Post  catgut Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:15 pm

tempest24 wrote:damn j! adding and adding to be the most out fitted autox subie on island! jay watch out!!! Razz

Oh man gimme a break! Cheap soft Cobb springs, camber bolts, non-adjustable sway bars with endlinks, and ALK bushings don't hold a candle to Jay's STi or many others out there for that matter. I'm' just trying to keep up with the STi crowd, seriously. I wish I started out with your suspension 'Busy. All I'd have to worry about is tires, the ALK, and a custom wheel alignment.

J
catgut
catgut
SCG Technican

Back to top Go down

Post  gummx97 Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:01 am

catgut wrote:
tempest24 wrote:damn j! adding and adding to be the most out fitted autox subie on island! jay watch out!!! Razz

Oh man gimme a break! Cheap soft Cobb springs, camber bolts, non-adjustable sway bars with endlinks, and ALK bushings don't hold a candle to Jay's STi or many others out there for that matter. I'm' just trying to keep up with the STi crowd, seriously. I wish I started out with your suspension 'Busy. All I'd have to worry about is tires, the ALK, and a custom wheel alignment.

J

BTW...hope you did not forget the LOCTITE for those nuts...remember it shaved off seconds from your autox time when you used it for your prior mod!!! Just keeping in check!
gummx97
gummx97
SCG Vice-President

Back to top Go down

Post  gonzosti Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:32 am

Great write up....Also looking for waterblaster to clean Rudys Rims....
gonzosti
gonzosti
SCG Artist/Designer

Number of posts : 518
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://gonzoink.com

Back to top Go down

Post  gummx97 Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:45 am

would they have those flexible adapter/hoses for the water blaster??? you know da kine they use for borescope engines?? that would be sweet like a rectal exam! study
gummx97
gummx97
SCG Vice-President

Back to top Go down

Post  gummx97 Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:46 am

gonzosti wrote:Great write up....Also looking for waterblaster to clean Rudys Rims....

i think we just hijacked the thread...back to regular programming...great write up!! tongue
gummx97
gummx97
SCG Vice-President

Back to top Go down

Post  catgut Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:34 am

gummx97 wrote:BTW...hope you did not forget the LOCTITE for those nuts...remember it shaved off seconds from your autox time when you used it for your prior mod!!! Just keeping in check!

Ahhh yes, the infamous LOCTITE. None used in the ALK install but sorely missed in yet another application which almost left me stranded last night but that's another thread topic.

Seriously though, I really like the ALK and what it's done for the handling of my WRX without adding struts/coil-overs/stiffer springs. You truly realize how much a set of polyurethane bushings can do for your cars dynamic ride height attitude and can appreciate it if you drive your car like I do. I can only imagine what a set of coil-overs will add to the cars handling after I get the rear suspension sorted. Taking tiny steps and experiencing what each part does as it adds to the whole package. So far I'm happy with the set-up and going in the right direction.

J
catgut
catgut
SCG Technican

Back to top Go down

Post  gummx97 Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:44 am

Ahhh yes, the infamous LOCTITE. None used in the ALK install but sorely missed in yet another application which almost left me stranded last night but that's another thread topic.

See!!! Loctite and Anti-Sieze especially for the bolts/nuts that are exposed to high temperatures, six-point sockets...things that will save folks heartaches later on. Too bad fasteners in cars do not have safety wire holes, this will save a lot of bolts getting loose either through vibration or wear and tear. Brian can also attest to this fact. We use this principle in aircraft and sure saved a lot of...um..."fallouts" (taking into consideration of sensitive verbiage).
gummx97
gummx97
SCG Vice-President

Back to top Go down

Post  Mmanni39 Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:09 pm

gummx97 wrote:

See!!! Loctite and Anti-Sieze especially for the bolts/nuts that are exposed to high temperatures, six-point sockets...things that will save folks heartaches later on. Too bad fasteners in cars do not have safety wire holes, this will save a lot of bolts getting loose either through vibration or wear and tear. Brian can also attest to this fact. We use this principle in aircraft and sure saved a lot of...um..."fallouts" (taking into consideration of sensitive verbiage).
Did I hear LOCTITE!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Mmanni39
Mmanni39

Number of posts : 186

Back to top Go down

Post  catgut Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:18 am

GuamSTI wrote:Brian your suspension is very nice, your car also hauls ass. Thanks for letting me try it out. That suspension is just beautiful. If we had more time to tweak it you would have wooped some ass.

I wanna try! Look forward to seeing that gaga tear it up tomorrow.

Yes Brian, you heard LOCTITE right.scratch

J
catgut
catgut
SCG Technican

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down