Subaru Club of Guam
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Knocking sound on slow speed

+5
ceo1
kevin6192
catgut
gummx97
gudofredo
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Knocking sound on slow speed Empty Knocking sound on slow speed

Post  gudofredo Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:51 am

Hi guys. When I was parking last sunday coming from our SCG autox..I heard some knocking noise tok tok tok coming under my car can't say if it is on front right or rear right. When I used it last monday I tried to observe where it was coming from still can't tell it sounds like sometimes it's coming from the front and sometimes from the back. Texted Jhay about it he said to check the lug nuts which I did lug nuts are all secured. Don't hear it on normal speed it just comes out whenever I am pulling in and out of parking and on slow speeds then hitting some small bumps on the road. Maybe the coils? CV? Need help can't get it out of my mind...he he he Thanks.
gudofredo
gudofredo

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2008-12-10

Back to top Go down

Knocking sound on slow speed Empty Re: Knocking sound on slow speed

Post  gummx97 Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:51 am

sent text message to Jhesse as soon as I read your post!
gummx97
gummx97
SCG Vice-President

Number of posts : 549
Registration date : 2008-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post  catgut Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:32 pm

Good suggestion about the lug-nuts.

Well, keep it simple. You did put that awesome bugeye though its paces on Sunday Cool you gnarly race driver you!

Considering that it's several years old (I don't know your mileage) it may just be a worn/loose steering or suspension part like an end-link like Jhay suggested or a worn rubber bushing, etc. Let me get a ride in it and we can make a better judgement on what root cause of noise is.

Things to think of when it happens:

When? Going over sudden bumps or washboard surfaces? Turning? Straight ahead? Coming out of parking seems very slow and possible turning right over bumps...if so sounds just like end-links but I'm no psychic. Need to check it out in person.

J
catgut
catgut
SCG Technican

Number of posts : 466
Registration date : 2008-12-03

http://guamsubieowners.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  gudofredo Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:11 pm

Thanks Jesse. Whenever you are free or just on your spare time, I'll bring the car over wherever that may be and have you take a look/feel at it. Just let me know when and where, I'll be there. Thanks again in advance. My car has some 54,+++ miles on it. It doesn't matter if you are turning left or right even on straights it makes that knocking noise as long as you are running slow. Paved or with small bumps, sometimes it's there sometimes it's not. So I'll just let you ride it and make your assessment from there. Thank you very much your AWESOMENESS!!!

Last edited by gudofredo on Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:25 am; edited 1 time in total
gudofredo
gudofredo

Back to top Go down

Post  gummx97 Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:33 pm

That's the Monster Munoz we all know and admire!! Not only is he an autox guru, but also an ASE Certified MASTER Technician as well!! Don't forget to mention a pillar of strength not only within our club but the community in which SCG is serving!! You haven't heard is sadomasochistic sax tone yet, it will floor you!!!

Plus, he's also an automotive instructor at GCC, a loving husband and a father of four wonderful boys!!!!cyclops
gummx97
gummx97
SCG Vice-President

Back to top Go down

Post  kevin6192 Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:12 pm

oh! i've been having the same problem!
it only happens when i slow down to a stop
and a few feet before i get to a complete stop, i hear a tok tok tok sound coming from the front right. i think something in the suspension got loose? maybe thats also one of the reasons when i drive i hear that vibrating noise coming from the same direction...
any ideas?
kevin6192
kevin6192

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post  catgut Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:46 pm

Hmmm, maybe similar noises???

Need to check in person Kevin.

Something to check as well; brake pad shift but only an inspection will tell. Any recent work done on either car before these noises happened? Tire rotation maybe?

In the meantime, as Jhay suggested to Eric ealier, check your lug-nuts Kev. Think simple Wink

J
catgut
catgut
SCG Technican

Back to top Go down

Post  catgut Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:00 pm

gummx97 wrote:That's the Monster Munoz we all know and admire!! Not only is he an autox guru, but also an ASE Certified MASTER Technician as well!! Don't forget to mention a pillar of strength not only within our club but the community in which SCG is serving!! You haven't heard is sadomasochistic sax tone yet, it will floor you!!!

Plus, he's also an automotive instructor at GCC, a loving husband and a father of four wonderful boys!!!!cyclops

Dammit Rhudy, I told you to tone it down a bit....I only opted for the "bronze package" eulogy, I think you slipped-up and gave me the "Platinum" by accident. In any case I'll pay you your 500-pesos tomorrow at the gig Wink

sadomasochistic sax tone?!? Man, I'm gonna have to deduct 450-pesos for that stunt drunken you're a funny guy geek

J
catgut
catgut
SCG Technican

Back to top Go down

Post  ceo1 Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:14 pm

gummx97 wrote:That's the Monster Munoz we all know and admire!! Not only is he an autox guru, but also an ASE Certified MASTER Technician as well!! Don't forget to mention a pillar of strength not only within our club but the community in which SCG is serving!! You haven't heard is sadomasochistic sax tone yet, it will floor you!!!

If I didn't know any better I would say Rudy is falling in love!! I love you I love you I love you

Maybe I DON'T know any better... scratch
ceo1
ceo1
SCG Treasurer/Coordinator & Plans

Number of posts : 323
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Back to top Go down

Post  gonzosti Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:53 am

Maybe its all the chicks catching up to you guys, knocking on your door...trying to get in your ride... Suspect
gonzosti
gonzosti
SCG Artist/Designer

Number of posts : 518
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://gonzoink.com

Back to top Go down

Post  gudofredo Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:54 pm

gonzosti wrote:Maybe its all the chicks catching up to you guys, knocking on your door...trying to get in your ride... Suspect

I hope that was the case...... Laughing
gudofredo
gudofredo

Back to top Go down

Post  ceo1 Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:49 pm

GuamSTI wrote:D, have you had your temperature issues looked at? your car is under warranty get it done so you can race again next time.

Haven't had time yet Jay. Thanks for the concern... Anyone wanna take my ride all the way to Yigo?! Laughing Hehe, I should be able to free up some time next week (hopefully!).
ceo1
ceo1

Back to top Go down

Post  catgut Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:09 pm

gudofredo wrote:Thanks Jesse. Whenever you are free or just on your spare time, I'll bring the car over wherever that may be and have you take a look/feel at it. Just let me know when and where, I'll be there. Thanks again in advance. My car has some 54,+++ miles on it. It doesn't matter if you are turning left or right even on straights it makes that knocking noise as long as you are running slow. Paved or with small bumps, sometimes it's there sometimes it's not. So I'll just let you ride it and make your assessment from there. Thank you very much your AWESOMENESS!!!

Took an initial look tonite. We test drove it and heard the clunk/rolling-type noise on slow speeds over bumps (damn rain made things interesting). After disconnecting the end-link determined it wasn't that. Looked further and noticed that the right-front upper spring seat isn't completely set. Inspected bushings and suspension bits as well but most obvious is the spring seat on the upper mount.

Eric is going to borrow a spring compressor and we'll reseat the spring later and recheck. We'll keep everyone updated as this progresses. Hopefully Eric will be ready to rip the course on our next event!

J
catgut
catgut
SCG Technican

Back to top Go down

Post  catgut Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:12 pm

ceo1 wrote:
GuamSTI wrote:D, have you had your temperature issues looked at? your car is under warranty get it done so you can race again next time.

Haven't had time yet Jay. Thanks for the concern... Anyone wanna take my ride all the way to Yigo?! Laughing Hehe, I should be able to free up some time next week (hopefully!).

I also echo having warranty applied if eligible. If not, let's get it figured out. Just need a wiring diagram for the cooling and condenser fans for your model Dennis.

J
catgut
catgut
SCG Technican

Back to top Go down

Post  ceo1 Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:04 pm

Thanks Jess. I will know by next week whether or not it will be covered. Hopefully I can take it in Monday or Tuesday. I will definitely get the wire diagram same day if they won't cover it.

Eric, text me if you need help with the springs... But you have Simon's "hand hammer" so you might be okay. Hehe, just lemme know.
ceo1
ceo1

Back to top Go down

Post  gudofredo Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:35 am

Hi guys. Reseated the springs this morning with the help of Simon so have to shower now and take the car for a spin. Thanks Jess for the help always. I'll drive around and see if the knocking sound went away. Jess I don't know if you got my msg last night freeing you up this afternoon? As much as possible don't want to bother anybody if there is a way that I could do it but sometimes you know we need your expertise and experience so I really appreciate it you being around for us. Thank you thank you. If there is anything I could do to return the favor just let me know. This goes out to the whole SCG. woot! woot!
gudofredo
gudofredo

Back to top Go down

Post  ceo1 Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:08 am

Good to hear Eric. Let us know how it goes. Kevin had the same problem he says and I don't know if he has springs on...
ceo1
ceo1

Back to top Go down

Post  subantha Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:46 am

i had the same problem on my car whenever i reverse..toktoktok thing you guys are talkin about is the links...should ask keith about it...he fixed mine
subantha
subantha

Number of posts : 86

Back to top Go down

Post  kevin6192 Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:21 pm

ceo1 wrote:Good to hear Eric. Let us know how it goes. Kevin had the same problem he says and I don't know if he has springs on...

haha i dont have springs
everythings stock.
but i hit a few pot holes pretty hard Sad
maybe that made something loose?
i only hear it coming from the right side
kevin6192
kevin6192

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post  gummx97 Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:35 pm

maybe we should rename this the "TOKTOK" thread... Very Happy
gummx97
gummx97
SCG Vice-President

Back to top Go down

Post  subantha Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:00 am

gonzosti wrote:Maybe its all the chicks catching up to you guys, knocking on your door...trying to get in your ride... Suspect

or maybe my bestfriend casper is doing it..or white lady, can you say taotaomona wants a ride with you..too fast thats why lol!
subantha
subantha

Number of posts : 86

Back to top Go down

Post  gudofredo Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:59 pm

Hi Guys. So far from the cruise around the island yesterday, tok tok tok was gone. Hope it stays that way.
gudofredo
gudofredo

Back to top Go down

Post  catgut Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:38 am

^^^^ I'll chime in here because Eric is probably ashamed to admit that he's an autocross monster and he pushed his car so hard last Sunday meet, I mean literally wore the tires off his rims Shocked, that he unseated the right-front spring upper perch bounce

When we inspected the steering & suspension that one night the only thing we found was the unseated spring. Although intact, the upper mount was clocked in the wrong position, like it shifted anti-clockwise a little. I think this is what was causing his audible "knock" during very slow (<5mph) washboard-type bumps (similar to a slow crawl on a rocky dirt road. Good stuff Eric Wink ).

To confirm this, I think the dead giveaway was when we were about to switch seats so I could drive. He was doing a tight down-slope turn in a parking-lot and I noticed that the noise kind of sounded like a misaligned spring perch; sequential knocks in a progressively louder succession, as he turned more and more to the right. cheers

I think this was the cause of the noise and at least we went with the most obvious visual finding. When in doubt, recheck recent work and compare to a good known part for reference Very Happy

Keep us posted bugeyest Shocked member.

J

Last edited by catgut on Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:06 am; edited 1 time in total
catgut
catgut
SCG Technican

Back to top Go down

Post  gummx97 Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:11 am

maybe Eric is becoming addicted to autox!
gummx97
gummx97
SCG Vice-President

Back to top Go down

Post  07GDJ25 Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:20 am

You know I gotta say, this is what a close knit car club is about. I am glad to have found you all. Jesse...seen you at AK with Lawcock a lot, saw you at the track, and this seals it...you are the shit bomb techjavascript:emoticonp('Cool'). This is a great thing when members of the club can put their minds together, find time, do some work, and solve a problem. Now can anyone help me with my libido problem? Shooto
PS: Does anyone know how to send the smiliey face without the script saying javascript: ect....
07GDJ25
07GDJ25

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2009-08-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next