Subaru Club of Guam
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DCCD preferred setting for STI

5 posters

Go down

DCCD preferred setting for STI Empty DCCD preferred setting for STI

Post  07GDJ25 Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:02 am

The Subaru Impreza WRX STI comes equipped with a great piece of technology dubbed the DCCD or Driver Controlled Center Differential. The Owners Manual gives a little information on it's use and the internet sites have people sharing their thoughts.

Since some of us are new to the game, I thought I'd throw it out for everyone's input...

1)What DCCD setting do you drive in on a daily basis? 2)What DCCD setting do you AutoXCross with? 3)Do you set your DCCD for daily driving and forget it, or do you keep changing it as you drive?

Let's see what kinda discussion this brings in, until then...Shooto
07GDJ25
07GDJ25

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2009-08-10

Back to top Go down

DCCD preferred setting for STI Empty Re: DCCD preferred setting for STI

Post  gonzosti Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:15 am

1) Auto
2) Depending on course a couple of times 60 rear / 40 front (full back setting) or 2-3 notches up but mostly auto.
3) During heavy rains i set on fully lock or higher front settings...Ive also used full lock to get out of a very muddy feild..During parking lot situations (mall) i use the 60/40 setting.

You can really feel the differences when playing with the manual settings and this was one thing i focused on when we did the SCG test and tune...My fastest time was recorded with the DCCD set 3 notches up from the rear. Its really hard to pinpoint a setting so usally i will leave it on auto.
gonzosti
gonzosti
SCG Artist/Designer

Number of posts : 518
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://gonzoink.com

Back to top Go down

Post  catgut Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:21 am

I leave mine in "WRX Auto" mode all the time Wink works quite well actually Rolling Eyes

Seriously though, having driven a few STi breeds locally and abroad, auto seems the most reasonable when daily driving on sealed roads. I've never driven on gravel or unsealed at speed with one but I would imagine that something with more forward bias would help front tire control/traction and increase steering effort for obvious reasons.

I do know for a fact that if set to full-lock this will ruin a center diff in short order Twisted Evil the front-rear bias split needs to be present especially on road surfaces that are sealed (paved) and no "give" is present. The weakest link will break over time and after the tires (as the weakest link) the locked center diff will be the next in line to fail.

Also as an aside, if you drive with more manual forward bias settings of the center diff you will also notice that your front tires will not last very long as a result of them giving way and scrubbing/wearing in a much more accelerated fashion as opposed to the auto or "open" setting. Not to mention the silent chain and related parts to the center diff/transfer case components.

In summary: tight turns(aka autocross) = more center diff action required

Of course I don't drive an STi so my words are objectionable but we service many AWD / 4WD vehicles with similar drivetrain layouts and can tell talk your ears off about how these beasts wear tires as an idiosyncrasy of its engineering design. I will pay for replacement tires to keep the benefits of how these awesome machines handle and perform any day Cool good topic 07GDJ25

J
catgut
catgut
SCG Technican

Number of posts : 466
Registration date : 2008-12-03

http://guamsubieowners.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  gummx97 Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:30 am

AUTO...i've tried both manual settings and AUTO in autox, more rearward bias tends to make the steering "lighter", but the timed runs yielded the same result. I've read in the snow covered states, STI owners keep the DCCD in the lock position. I've driven lots of times in the snow (13 years), and wish i had DCCD. Don't let the 4wd or other AWD cars fool you, those kind usually end up in the embankment during snowy weather. Up in Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine where I used to go skiing, the staple cars were subies. The snow plows that you see on TV, they usually have their 4WD locked on all fours.

So, after much "playing" with DCCD, AUTO appears to suit most needs we have here locally. 'cept those damn clunking sound I hear when taking slow u-turns...
gummx97
gummx97
SCG Vice-President

Number of posts : 549
Registration date : 2008-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post  catgut Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:53 am

Of course I'm speaking in the context that we are driving on Guam Very Happy just for clarification.

Rhudy and those that have driven on snow and ice will have different viewpoints. What a Face

Any more input anyone?

P.S.- 07GDJ25, ever ask yourself why those front tires were so worn at such a low mileage Wink think "locked center diff" = the tires were taking the brunt of the wear until....Question no worries, now you have been enlightened and know what 'not' to do with your DCCD on sealed roads for Guam driving Cool

J
catgut
catgut
SCG Technican

Number of posts : 466

http://guamsubieowners.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  WRB04STi Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:27 pm

IMO just leaving it in AUTO is the best bet. Between driving around here and back on the east coast in the snow AUTO has always worked out best for me. I have messed around with trying different settings and like gonzo said some times full back or 2 clicks forward work out good on the auto-x course for a little extra push.
WRB04STi
WRB04STi

Number of posts : 108

Back to top Go down

Post  gonzosti Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:39 am

gonzosti
gonzosti
SCG Artist/Designer

Number of posts : 518
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://gonzoink.com

Back to top Go down

Post  07GDJ25 Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:49 am

Found a good point for having DCCD...my tires on the rear are a lot newer and grip a hella lot more than the front, meaning understeer is a lot more prevalent. By utilizing the DCCD setting and putting it to the rear, less full lock, the wear to the rear tires will be more and the wear and tear on the front will be a little less. Seems to work when I drive it hard, all the time, and balances the car out a bit. Just my .02 cents...shooto pig
07GDJ25
07GDJ25

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2009-08-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum