Warm Up Time

Go down

Warm Up Time

Post  tempest24 on Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:31 am

jesse's post reminded me but does anyone have unusually long warm up time?

dont know if its normal on subies but i have to wait 2 whole minutes for warm up...and even if its hot outside!

when starting up its sits at 1.5 rpm for 2 mins then down to below 1

anyone?
avatar
tempest24
SCG Forum Master

Number of posts : 244
Location : Guam
Registration date : 2008-12-01

View user profile https://www.facebook.com/home.php#/tempest24?ref=profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Warm Up Time

Post  catgut on Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:51 am

Def have the high idle flare during warm-up but it takes about a minute to warm-up I'm guessing. Never timed it but seems normal to me. Mine has an ungodly noise (at times) of the air injection pump/exhaust when warming up.

Need more STi guys to chime in here, not sure if your cars are all exhibit the same symptoms.

Jay and his fumes Laughing

J
avatar
catgut
SCG Technican

Number of posts : 466
Age : 42
Location : In my pants
Registration date : 2008-12-03

View user profile http://guamsubieowners.org/

Back to top Go down

Re: Warm Up Time

Post  Mmanni39 on Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:43 am

catgut wrote:Def have the high idle flare during warm-up but it takes about a minute to warm-up I'm guessing. Never timed it but seems normal to me. Mine has an ungodly noise (at times) of the air injection pump/exhaust when warming up.

Need more STi guys to chime in here, not sure if your cars are all exhibit the same symptoms.

Jay and his fumes Laughing

J


loooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuddddddddddddddddddd ilike What a Face What a Face What a Face What a Face What a Face What a Face
avatar
Mmanni39

Number of posts : 186
Age : 39
Location : Guam
Registration date : 2008-12-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Warm Up Time

Post  tempest24 on Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:28 am

oh yeah i forgot to mention to loudest...

one morning it woke up my dad cuz i reverse parked having the rear face my kitchen window.... and when i was warming it up it rattled the window soo bad he woke up thinking earthquake...

than he said to get my car checked cuz he thought its not normal

hahahaha

but im glad im not the only one... Razz lots to get used to with this subie
avatar
tempest24
SCG Forum Master

Number of posts : 244
Location : Guam
Registration date : 2008-12-01

View user profile https://www.facebook.com/home.php#/tempest24?ref=profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Warm Up Time

Post  gummx97 on Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:18 am

tempest24 wrote:jesse's post reminded me but does anyone have unusually long warm up time?

dont know if its normal on subies but i have to wait 2 whole minutes for warm up...and even if its hot outside!

when starting up its sits at 1.5 rpm for 2 mins then down to below 1

anyone?

i got the same condition tommy has, the loudness of the engine is subjective since we all have different perceptions of loudness.

this warm up practice has me wondering at times, we live in a tropical climate and our temps do not go below 70 degrees farenheit, our fluids having good viscosity, do we really need to take the time to warm up more than two minutes? i know we all err on the safe side, but is it really necessary? after 2 minutes, we can drive our cars "normally" then consider the short drive a "warm up".

what y'all think?
avatar
gummx97
SCG Vice-President

Number of posts : 549
Age : 52
Location : Guam, USA
Registration date : 2008-12-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Warm Up Time

Post  catgut on Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:33 am

gummx97 wrote:
tempest24 wrote:jesse's post reminded me but does anyone have unusually long warm up time?

dont know if its normal on subies but i have to wait 2 whole minutes for warm up...and even if its hot outside!

when starting up its sits at 1.5 rpm for 2 mins then down to below 1

anyone?

i got the same condition tommy has, the loudness of the engine is subjective since we all have different perceptions of loudness.

this warm up practice has me wondering at times, we live in a tropical climate and our temps do not go below 70 degrees farenheit, our fluids having good viscosity, do we really need to take the time to warm up more than two minutes? i know we all err on the safe side, but is it really necessary? after 2 minutes, we can drive our cars "normally" then consider the short drive a "warm up".

what y'all think?

Bah...start it up, wait 10-seconds, drive....todays tolerances and lube quality make this all possible without long-term detrimental wear effects. Just take it easy & try to stay off boost until oil/coolant temp comes up which is probably 2-miles from where you started in the first place. Warm-ups just waste more fuel and hurt your average fuel economy. Your "short drive" is a warm up Cool

Frankly I'd be more worried about hot shut downs than anything else especially after a hot lap or romp on the throttle. Whatever you do don't rev your engine and shut off immediately thereafter !!! <dry shut-down>....your turbo will tell you it hates it when you snap it's quill Wink then you'll need a turbo upgrade cheers jocolor

J
avatar
catgut
SCG Technican

Number of posts : 466
Age : 42
Location : In my pants
Registration date : 2008-12-03

View user profile http://guamsubieowners.org/

Back to top Go down

Re: Warm Up Time

Post  Mmanni39 on Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:21 pm

catgut wrote:
gummx97 wrote:
tempest24 wrote:jesse's post reminded me but does anyone have unusually long warm up time?

dont know if its normal on subies but i have to wait 2 whole minutes for warm up...and even if its hot outside!

when starting up its sits at 1.5 rpm for 2 mins then down to below 1

anyone?

i got the same condition tommy has, the loudness of the engine is subjective since we all have different perceptions of loudness.

this warm up practice has me wondering at times, we live in a tropical climate and our temps do not go below 70 degrees farenheit, our fluids having good viscosity, do we really need to take the time to warm up more than two minutes? i know we all err on the safe side, but is it really necessary? after 2 minutes, we can drive our cars "normally" then consider the short drive a "warm up".

what y'all think?

Bah...start it up, wait 10-seconds, drive....today's tolerances and lube quality make this all possible without long-term detrimental wear effects. Just take it easy & try to stay off boost until oil/coolant temp comes up which is probably 2-miles from where you started in the first place. Warm-ups just waste more fuel and hurt your average fuel economy. Your "short drive" is a warm up Cool

Frankly I'd be more worried about hot shut downs than anything else especially after a hot lap or romp on the throttle. Whatever you do don't rev your engine and shut off immediately thereafter !!! <dry shut-down>....your turbo will tell you it hates it when you snap it's quill Wink then you'll need a turbo upgrade cheers jocolor

J
Very true, at autocross my foot slipped off the clutch and stalled. When I tried to start it back up quickly it hesitated before turning over....very good insight Jess, open up the hood and let the engine and turbo cycle and cool at normal idlea after running hard at the track. Rudy, ZJ here is the time to really baby your baby!!!! Also I read about the temperatures that can affect our vehicle before leaving England, it is normal to turn on and go here on Guam do it everyday but don't boost until all levels are at its right temp. again Jess is right. It is funny because all the factors and concerns I had when purchasing my Subie are coming up in the forums. Learned through web and forums great info, but most of all got some good guys who know their stuff about our cars. Good questions, remember if you wondering about something don't be hesitant to ask better safe than sorry.


Last edited by Mmanni39 on Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
avatar
Mmanni39

Number of posts : 186
Age : 39
Location : Guam
Registration date : 2008-12-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Warm Up Time

Post  tempest24 on Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:47 pm

als when not waiting for it to warm-up cz i was in a hurry i started up and on high idle i left and was in a 'hurry' so i stomped the gas and there was major lag and jerk before it picked up a ran
avatar
tempest24
SCG Forum Master

Number of posts : 244
Location : Guam
Registration date : 2008-12-01

View user profile https://www.facebook.com/home.php#/tempest24?ref=profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Warm Up Time

Post  catgut on Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:05 pm

tempest24 wrote:als when not waiting for it to warm-up cz i was in a hurry i started up and on high idle i left and was in a 'hurry' so i stomped the gas and there was major lag and jerk before it picked up a ran

Could be an idiosyncrasy with your STi's but in general engines need to run richer when cool; cooler denser air requires more fuel for the engine to run stoich or optimal to keep it from stalling. As it warms up the coolant temp sensor tells the ECU this and the ECU refers to a different look-up table for fueling and reduces fuel for that specific load cell but for a warmer condition.

In short, it's possible that under cool conditions, especially immediately after start-up, the fueling is intentionally rich <fuel laden> and when you tried to accelerate <engine also requires fueling during acceleration and boost> it was for an instant overly rich and there was a delay that you felt.

Secondly, turbos require thermal energy to spool <this is why alot of very effective manifolds are made of certain types of stainless steel (rejects heat, keeps it in the runners)> not only exhaust gas velocity and runner length but that's too technical here clown

In short, cool engine = low exhaust thermal energy + rich condition = less propensity to spool.......make sense? scratch More factors here but Tommy, just wait until it's warmed up to give it the gas & you'll be fine Surprised

J
avatar
catgut
SCG Technican

Number of posts : 466
Age : 42
Location : In my pants
Registration date : 2008-12-03

View user profile http://guamsubieowners.org/

Back to top Go down

Re: Warm Up Time

Post  catgut on Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:09 pm

If there's any other consolation to Tommy's last concern it's well documented on other major forums that our engines and the tunes that Subaru chooses to use are overly rich <in a safe way> to begin with which is why our cars respond so well to some A/F tuning and timing advance which is a good thing when done right Very Happy

J
avatar
catgut
SCG Technican

Number of posts : 466
Age : 42
Location : In my pants
Registration date : 2008-12-03

View user profile http://guamsubieowners.org/

Back to top Go down

Re: Warm Up Time

Post  gummx97 on Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:37 pm

running rich=bad fuel economy!!! hehehehe... Twisted Evil

price to pay for turbos
avatar
gummx97
SCG Vice-President

Number of posts : 549
Age : 52
Location : Guam, USA
Registration date : 2008-12-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Warm Up Time

Post  GuamSTI on Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:26 am

I timed my warm up time or the length of time it takes for my idle to drop from 1500 to about 1000 it took 2 minutes and 30 seconds.

_________________
"Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines" Enzo Ferrari
avatar
GuamSTI

Number of posts : 748
Registration date : 2008-12-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Warm Up Time

Post  gummx97 on Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:50 am

when first starting the car, after 30 secs or so, i let the idle rpm move the car and stay out of boost until the temp gauge at least starts to move up. i think it's ok since we do have have freezing temps here in Guam and the oil maintains its viscosity.
avatar
gummx97
SCG Vice-President

Number of posts : 549
Age : 52
Location : Guam, USA
Registration date : 2008-12-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Warm Up Time

Post  ceo1 on Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:00 am

Anyone have a problem of backfire at start up?

I notice that on a cold to semi cold start. If I happen to tap the gas (not that I do that often) but the engine will run a bit rough almost like its missing. I happened to do it once. When it missed I tapped it again and it backfired a bit. I'm not talking like redlining it. I'm talking like right when you fire it up about a second later I happened to hit the gas about quarter to mid throttle. might have hit like 3k rpm. Since then I have tried it (expecting it might be like that during break in period). Since break in period is over it still does it.

Also at idle whether warm or cold... completly randomly, the car will shake a bit. From what I have read our engines are supposed to be pretty smooth and balanced. But it will shake at random times for seemingly no reason. Almost like it is hesitating but barely noticable. I rpm does not change during this though so it can't be the a/c kicking in or whatever.. Just throwing this out there. Hopefully its nothing.
avatar
ceo1
SCG Treasurer/Coordinator & Plans

Number of posts : 323
Age : 35
Registration date : 2008-12-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Warm Up Time

Post  gummx97 on Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:25 am

ceo1 wrote:Anyone have a problem of backfire at start up?

I notice that on a cold to semi cold start. If I happen to tap the gas (not that I do that often) but the engine will run a bit rough almost like its missing. I happened to do it once. When it missed I tapped it again and it backfired a bit. I'm not talking like redlining it. I'm talking like right when you fire it up about a second later I happened to hit the gas about quarter to mid throttle. might have hit like 3k rpm. Since then I have tried it (expecting it might be like that during break in period). Since break in period is over it still does it.

Also at idle whether warm or cold... completly randomly, the car will shake a bit. From what I have read our engines are supposed to be pretty smooth and balanced. But it will shake at random times for seemingly no reason. Almost like it is hesitating but barely noticable. I rpm does not change during this though so it can't be the a/c kicking in or whatever.. Just throwing this out there. Hopefully its nothing.

Dennis,

Carefully watch the for check engine light (CEL) and the cruise light blinking, i have the same sypmtoms of rough idling and shaking randomly and eventually, these lights illuminated. Could be unrelated, but the symptom of random rough idle/shake during initial start up was consistent factor to throw a CEL.

What is the mileage of your car? My CEL illuminated around 1800 miles, just right after break-in. See my post for CEL to see a timeline and what Prestige distributor did to my Subie for a resolution.
avatar
gummx97
SCG Vice-President

Number of posts : 549
Age : 52
Location : Guam, USA
Registration date : 2008-12-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Warm Up Time

Post  dc on Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:05 am

Cold start warm up is needed for the ecu to learn and do it's correction. Normally on a cold start let the ecu learn first for about 30 sec - 1 min. This way the all compensations are learned like, mas air flow, iat intake air temp, coolant temp etc... Remember also the the cam advance will not work if you do not reach the coolant temp threshold. Meaning the engine is sluggish until you reach 83 deg on the usdm 04-07.

Tips:
If you disconnect the battery terminal you should do the same warm up and learn mode. If not, the cam advance will not work meaning it will run on limp mode. Effects will be less timing advance, no cam advance or AVCS. Subaru ecu's are very intelligent and the have a continuous learning process. This learning process is affected by poor fuel octane, hot IAT (especially those using an open filter without shielding) and others... A good quality fuel will give more ignition advance; always remember that Subaru ecu's detects detonation. The ecu will try to advance the timing until it detects det, then it will retard. If you reached the max ign retard it will go to limp mode, the car is slow and we do not want that to happen. But reality it happens most of the time, especially if you do not know what mods you put in your car.

Hope this helps Very Happy

dc

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2009-02-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Warm Up Time

Post  pat on Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:55 pm

Usually for a cold start I let her idle for about 30 seconds and I keep it between 2k-3k RPMs.
avatar
pat

Number of posts : 18
Age : 31
Location : Guam
Registration date : 2008-12-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Warm Up Time

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum