Subaru Club of Guam
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

oil change

4 posters

Go down

oil change Empty oil change

Post  tempest24 Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:04 pm

so the manual and the oil cover states to use 5w30 oil for your subaru...now not sure with the other models but my sti gets super hot in the engine bay and whenmy 3000 miles are up i have little to no oil to drain using 5w30...so like 4 oil changes ago i changed it up and started using 10w30 and hey i always have oil when time to change...

due to guam's hot weather i think its best to start using a heavier oil...then 5w30...maybe prestige should change it up too...?

just saying...lol...oh and yes im using royal purple...got this tip from jun @ redline becuz he knows how i like to have a heavy gas foot....lol...
tempest24
tempest24
SCG Forum Master

Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2008-12-01

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#/tempest24?ref=profile

Back to top Go down

oil change Empty Re: oil change

Post  tempest24 Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:19 am

also i heard this before at prestige not sure now BUT they told me that our subarus dont need oil changes til 7000 miles...ummm yes true but DEPENDING on your driving conditions...so for Guam's stop n go style....3000 miles always!
tempest24
tempest24
SCG Forum Master

Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2008-12-01

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#/tempest24?ref=profile

Back to top Go down

Post  WRB04STi Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:04 am

Yeah I either run RP 5W30 or Amsoil 5W30. And Ill usually chang the oil at about 5000ish miles. Havent had any problems with burning oil or anything. Years ago I use to use Mobile 1 but ran into too many problems with that ust burning away in my old WRX. SO i switched to RP and never looked back.
WRB04STi
WRB04STi

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2008-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post  sinR Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:23 pm

Royal Purple works great on my ol' geezer and yes they are quite pricey but i rather spend a little on maintenance then ALOT on repairs....As someone who always reminds me to Drive it like I Stole it, I can't afford to be running anything less than Royal Purple 5w30, Royal Purple combines premium base oils with proprietary additive technologies to create a high preformance motor oil that optimizes engine performance and provides superior protection. Royal Purple's high film strength improves sealing between the piston ring and cylinder wall for maximum horsepower and torque, optimized fuel economy and low emissions. It's exceptional oxidation stability maximizes oil life and allow for extended oil drain intervals. Advanced synthetic solvency reduces engine deposits and keeps engine clean Wink

Its simply amazing!!!

sinR
sinR

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2010-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post  catgut Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:59 am

tempest24 wrote:so the manual and the oil cover states to use 5w30 oil for your subaru...now not sure with the other models but my sti gets super hot in the engine bay and whenmy 3000 miles are up i have little to no oil to drain using 5w30...so like 4 oil changes ago i changed it up and started using 10w30 and hey i always have oil when time to change...

due to guam's hot weather i think its best to start using a heavier oil...then 5w30...maybe prestige should change it up too...?

Good observation Tommy cheers

It's really not the weather per se but more centered around driving conditions and engine design: stop & go as well as ones propensity to drive with a lead foot tongue

Much thought and recommendation go into the manufacturer's advice for oil viscosity. For the last decade a lot of emphasis on fuel economy is playing into the lubes that are recommended hence a lighter "weight" or viscosity - remember, viscosity is a fluid's resistance to flow. So, you realize that a higher viscosity is a higher resistance to flow = it takes more effort to pump said fluid and therefore expending more energy to do so and ultimately consuming more fuel to run an engine.

Engines inherently by design will burn oil; they are engineered to do this and you can't get away with not burning oil. No way no how. Valve guides seals are there to limit the oil burn but you're always going to burn oil here. Oil that coats the cylinders and piston skirts are a large contributor to oil consumption. For both examples you realize that if all oil was wiped during operation you'd have metal to metal contact and a really bad situation Wink Also realize that the more you rev your engine (higher RPMs) you will also increase the rate of oil burn. Yes, piston to cylinder wall clearances play into this and the greater the tolerance the more blow-by gas enters the lower crankcase which forces hot gas out through the PCV which is laden with hot oil vapor which in turn gets ingested in the intake tract and burned.

In short, all we can do is switch to a high quality oil and monitor oil level regularly. I like to check my oil level/condition at least once a week. Keep it topped off with the same oil you filled it with. A fully or blended synthetic oil with the correct API or ILSAC is a MUST. Higher viscosity oil hurts fuel economy but puts a thicker layer of oil between bearing surfaces and moving components. I would rather this than have a random engine event damage my engine.

Good job Tommy!

J
catgut
catgut
SCG Technican

Number of posts : 466
Registration date : 2008-12-03

http://guamsubieowners.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content