Subaru Club of Guam
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Throw out bearing noise when cold

4 posters

Go down

Throw out bearing noise when cold Empty Throw out bearing noise when cold

Post  catgut Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:16 pm

Do any of you experience this? Only makes noise when cold & depressing clutch pedal. Mostly during mid-travel. Goes away after warmed-up >10 minutes. Mine just started yesterday morning with all that rain. Anyone?

J
catgut
catgut
SCG Technican

Number of posts : 466
Registration date : 2008-12-03

http://guamsubieowners.org/

Back to top Go down

Throw out bearing noise when cold Empty Re: Throw out bearing noise when cold

Post  GuamSTI Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:01 am

Same here not loud but just noticeable, even my Miata was the same way, as well as Nissan Frontier.
GuamSTI
GuamSTI

Number of posts : 748

Back to top Go down

Post  catgut Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:06 am

Update: Didn't hear it this morning. I wonder if it is moisture related...I'll have to take a look under the car to see if there are any holes/access points to the bell-housing.....hmmmmmm scratch

Hey! just thought of this. I think it is hard rain related: This morning was wet but seemed like it just drizzled = no noise. The morning it happened <Sunday AutoX> it was raining like mad <horizontal rain>. I think the water entering the intercooler hood scoop is dripping onto the trans bell-housing (car is parked aside the curb). So, moisture probably getting between engine/trans and possibly light surface rust occurs over a short period or washes out some throw-out bearing lube Suspect so upon next start-up/use it squeals until the remaining lube gets distributed in the bearing again or the light surface rust scuffs off from use. I wonder if this holds any truth? Ideas anyone? Service bulletin?

Same here not loud but just noticeable
So others on here have it. Okay, that's news to me thanks. Anyone else with a hood scoop have this?

J
catgut
catgut
SCG Technican

Back to top Go down

Post  GuamSTI Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:14 am

Well said, unless I try to listen to it it is unnoticeable
GuamSTI
GuamSTI

Back to top Go down

Post  Mmanni39 Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:49 am

catgut wrote:Update: Didn't hear it this morning. I wonder if it is moisture related...I'll have to take a look under the car to see if there are any holes/access points to the bell-housing.....hmmmmmm scratch

Hey! just thought of this. I think it is hard rain related: This morning was wet but seemed like it just drizzled = no noise. The morning it happened <Sunday AutoX> it was raining like mad <horizontal rain>. I think the water entering the intercooler hood scoop is dripping onto the trans bell-housing (car is parked aside the curb). So, moisture probably getting between engine/trans and possibly light surface rust occurs over a short period or washes out some throw-out bearing lube Suspect so upon next start-up/use it squeals until the remaining lube gets distributed in the bearing again or the light surface rust scuffs off from use. I wonder if this holds any truth? Ideas anyone? Service bulletin?

Same here not loud but just noticeable
So others on here have it. Okay, that's news to me thanks. Anyone else with a hood scoop have this?

J
That sounds about right Jess, like my brakes when it sits a while it turns brown and it not even raining, just that morning mist, also I noticed when my e brake is locked over the weekend and ready to drive makes a loud noise. So maybe Jess but I will be on the look out. Good theory though Jess!!!!

Last edited by Mmanni39 on Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mmanni39
Mmanni39

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2008-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post  catgut Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:01 am

That sounds about a right Jess, like my brakes when it sits a while it turns brown and it not even raining, just that morning mist, also I noticed when my e brake is locked over the weekend and ready to drive makes a loud noise. So maybe Jess but I will be on the look out. Good theory though Jess!!!![/quote]

Your brake pads are just high Mu <high friction; high metallic content> so naturally the trade off for awesome brakes is oxidation regardless of rain (on Guam anyway with 70% + humidity!Exclamation) can we trade? I'll swap you for my noisy throw-out bearing!?! Very Happy

J

I think you might need some muffler bearing to solve that problem or some head light fluid lol! lol!
catgut
catgut
SCG Technican

Back to top Go down

Post  gummx97 Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:22 am

catgut wrote:That sounds about a right Jess, like my brakes when it sits a while it turns brown and it not even raining, just that morning mist, also I noticed when my e brake is locked over the weekend and ready to drive makes a loud noise. So maybe Jess but I will be on the look out. Good theory though Jess!!!!

Your brake pads are just high Mu <high friction; high metallic content> so naturally the trade off for awesome brakes is oxidation regardless of rain (on Guam anyway with 70% + humidity!Exclamation) can we trade? I'll swap you for my noisy throw-out bearing!?! Very Happy

J
[/quote]

wow...Brian, Jesse's offer sounds too good to be true!!!

i got the same condition brian mentioned with the brakes...and just to mention, i love brake dust!!!! bounce

I don't know I got other offers for blown tires and blown engines for my brakes lol! lol!
gummx97
gummx97
SCG Vice-President

Number of posts : 549

Back to top Go down

Post  catgut Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:09 am

UPDATE:

No noise lately from this possible culprit bearing scratch It hasn't really been raining hard lately either so again, this could be a determining factor.

Will post if conditions change.

J
catgut
catgut
SCG Technican

Back to top Go down

Post  gummx97 Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:16 am

maybe it will rain on autocross day, or whenever you just finished washing and waxing your car!
gummx97
gummx97
SCG Vice-President

Number of posts : 549

Back to top Go down

Post  GuamSTI Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:48 pm

My Evo does this also when first started. Again not loud but noticeable if you listen closely
GuamSTI
GuamSTI

Back to top Go down

Post  catgut Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:26 am

Thanks for keeping this thread alive Jhay Cool

My throw-out bearing is still noisy only during cold morning starts. Still goes away after a few minutes of warm-up. Kinda irritating for a newer car.

No time to bring it into Prestige to take a listen.

J
catgut
catgut
SCG Technican

Back to top Go down

Post  GuamSTI Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:39 am

If ever take it there before warranty expires
GuamSTI
GuamSTI

Back to top Go down

Post  catgut Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:30 pm

Update: 15k miles or so and it's still there during cold/cool starts. It's not as loud as before but def still there for a couple minutes. I'll be bringing it in for Prestige to take a look at in a bit but I think it's just a dry throwout bearing OR moisture sets in and does its business until driven and lubricated from operation. Mad

Weather definitely plays into this

J
catgut
catgut
SCG Technican

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content