Subaru Club of Guam
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RalliTek Sway Bars + RalliTek HD End-Links + Polyurethane sway bar bushings Installed: '08 WRX hatch

4 posters

Go down

RalliTek Sway Bars + RalliTek HD End-Links + Polyurethane sway bar bushings Installed: '08 WRX hatch Empty RalliTek Sway Bars + RalliTek HD End-Links + Polyurethane sway bar bushings Installed: '08 WRX hatch

Post  catgut Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:47 pm

Just wanted to share this with all of you. I upgraded to the RalliTek front & rear sway bar set with the RalliTek Heavy Duty end-links as well. The kit comes with polyurethane bushings throughout and reinforced sway bar bushing brackets to cope with the extra loads. Chris at RalliTek gave me an awesome deal on the front & rear sway bar kit + the front heavy duty end-links <I had their HD rear end-links prior for less than a 1/2-tank of gas Very Happy from a previous private purchase> Let's just say that for all the new items from RalliTek, I paid less for the bars and front HD links than the advertised kit price Cool

Unfortunately I wasn't able to get you complete removal + install pictures/details <you can see a video clip here as provided by RalliTek http://rallitek.com/rafrreswbars.html> I simply wanted to show you the thickness difference between OEM <front = 20mm , rear = 15mm> and RalliTek's solution <front = 22mm , rear = 19mm> they claim a 47% increase in stiffness for the front and a 157% increase for the rear. I also wanted to put some clarity into the placement and positioning of the lateral lock kit <aluminum lock collars for centering the front & rear sway bars>. For those of you who have seen my car in action (Brian Twisted Evil affraid ) you can attest to the excessive amount of body-roll that Subaru engineers put into it for safety reasons; I hate it Mad I'm pretty excited to test them out at the next event.

I can tell you that after the install there is a very slight increase in suspension harshness when going over bumps <I really mean very slight> and the body roll I was used to is almost non-existent. The feedback from the suspension feels more sure-footed and predictable just based on typical driving but I don't have an event impression yet.

Special thanks to my wife for taking the pictures cheers My apologies in advance for a dirty undercarriage

Here's the pre-requisite SCG sticker location Razz

RalliTek Sway Bars + RalliTek HD End-Links + Polyurethane sway bar bushings Installed: '08 WRX hatch P1251993

You can see the difference in front sway bar thickness <RalliTek 22mm light grey is already installed. Black OEM 20mm> HD RalliTek end link hidden
RalliTek Sway Bars + RalliTek HD End-Links + Polyurethane sway bar bushings Installed: '08 WRX hatch P1252005

Here is the comparison in rear sway bar thickness <RalliTek 19mm light grey is installed. Black OEM 15mm> note: lateral lock installed incorrectly prior to watching instructions; don't recall printed version mentioned it
RalliTek Sway Bars + RalliTek HD End-Links + Polyurethane sway bar bushings Installed: '08 WRX hatch P1251964

Here I am pointing out the groove in the lateral lock kit. This grooved side should face the sway bar bushing to retain the bushing snot; this polyurethane lube is some nasty stuff and WILL get all over anything and is VERY hard to remove! Exclamation Exclamation CAUTION Exclamation Exclamation I used a pencil to apply the lube to the bushings.
RalliTek Sway Bars + RalliTek HD End-Links + Polyurethane sway bar bushings Installed: '08 WRX hatch P1251980

Pic of the installed rear lateral lock kit, RalliTek sway bar, upgraded bracket, and polyurethane bushings with silicon grease
RalliTek Sway Bars + RalliTek HD End-Links + Polyurethane sway bar bushings Installed: '08 WRX hatch P1252004

Application of blue thread-lock on the lateral lock fasteners <required but not supplied with kit>
RalliTek Sway Bars + RalliTek HD End-Links + Polyurethane sway bar bushings Installed: '08 WRX hatch P1251984

Pic of the installed 19mm rear sway bar & HD RalliTek end-link
RalliTek Sway Bars + RalliTek HD End-Links + Polyurethane sway bar bushings Installed: '08 WRX hatch P1251974

Here is a undercarriage shot of the 3" Perrin cat-back exhaust Cool and cat installation supervisor cat
RalliTek Sway Bars + RalliTek HD End-Links + Polyurethane sway bar bushings Installed: '08 WRX hatch P1251970

Last but not least, the infamous Dunlop Direzza Star Spec tires! afro

RalliTek Sway Bars + RalliTek HD End-Links + Polyurethane sway bar bushings Installed: '08 WRX hatch P1251976

I'll update this thread with event driving impressions as soon as we get to one. All in all, the install was a snap and only took about 25-minutes on a lift. I reserved the thread-lock application for home and corrected the lock install. If done on the driveway I'd anticipate about an hours time with common hand tools and jack-stands. I hope this is informative & helps!

J
catgut
catgut
SCG Technican

Number of posts : 466
Registration date : 2008-12-03

http://guamsubieowners.org/

Back to top Go down

RalliTek Sway Bars + RalliTek HD End-Links + Polyurethane sway bar bushings Installed: '08 WRX hatch Empty Re: RalliTek Sway Bars + RalliTek HD End-Links + Polyurethane sway bar bushings Installed: '08 WRX hatch

Post  gummx97 Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:37 pm

Let me know where you live, when I actually get to buying a sway bar, on to Munoz Garage, with thread lock/loctite aplication! cheers

can't wait to see the new mod in action, whether it be autocross or any event.
gummx97
gummx97
SCG Vice-President

Number of posts : 549
Registration date : 2008-12-02

Back to top Go down

RalliTek Sway Bars + RalliTek HD End-Links + Polyurethane sway bar bushings Installed: '08 WRX hatch Empty Re: RalliTek Sway Bars + RalliTek HD End-Links + Polyurethane sway bar bushings Installed: '08 WRX hatch

Post  catgut Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:39 am

gummx97 wrote:Let me know where you live, when I actually get to buying a sway bar, on to Munoz Garage, with thread lock/loctite aplication! cheers

You guys are light years ahead of me in the suspension area so stop patronizing me!!!!! Suspect Wink This was a move that was warranted because you all are just laughing at my car's handling being the new-kid-on-the-block and all bounce I'm just trying to keep up.

J
catgut
catgut
SCG Technican

Back to top Go down

Post  gummx97 Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:49 am

catgut wrote:
gummx97 wrote:Let me know where you live, when I actually get to buying a sway bar, on to Munoz Garage, with thread lock/loctite aplication! cheers

You guys are light years ahead of me in the suspension area so stop patronizing me!!!!! Suspect Wink This was a move that was warranted because you all are just laughing at my car's handling being the new-kid-on-the-block and all bounce I'm just trying to keep up.

J

yeah, but...you got LOCTITE!! cheers
gummx97
gummx97
SCG Vice-President

Back to top Go down

Post  catgut Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:53 am

GuamSTI wrote:J, how did you ship the bars? I need to buy fronts for mine or sell my rears and buy a new set.

That lock is nice.

This goes back to our general meeting for sources and such that we need to hold for ALL to benefit but I'm most happy to let all know this info because it took a little patience but the wait was worth it:

RalliTek is in Oregon. It cost about $18.00 to ship via UPS ground to Carson, CA <Triple-B freight forwarders> there is a Triple-B office in the Bay area but I opted for L.A. because my original plan was to consolidate parts and ship as a whole to save $$$$

I had them ship to Guam and took 1-week cost me about $60 and change. It's a fairly sizeable box and not too heavy. I think it would have made it USPS but my original plans to consolidate didn't pan out <my issue>. My first parts order was consolidated and the experience was effortless almost. Triple-B is super easy to deal with and I like that, painless Cool

J
catgut
catgut
SCG Technican

Back to top Go down

Post  catgut Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:59 am

gummx97 wrote:
catgut wrote:

J

yeah, but...you got LOCTITE!! cheers

Dude Suspect I was robbed $6.75 for that tiny darn 20-oz. tube Suspect I've now shaved 2-seconds from my average lap times because of LOCTITE! Exclamation Exclamation you should get some too! Laughing

J
catgut
catgut
SCG Technican

Back to top Go down

Post  tempest24 Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:22 am

hey wat tool was that? it looks like a cat...? hahahaha j/k
tempest24
tempest24
SCG Forum Master

Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2008-12-01

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#/tempest24?ref=profile

Back to top Go down

Post  catgut Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:59 am

GuamSTI wrote:Results from yeterdays race must have said it all.

Yes, pleasing results I admit! Even with my oldest boy sitting shot-gun the car felt very predictable; I just have to worry about my blind-side tire placement <trying too hard to cut close and nipping that 2nd darn slalom cone Embarassed >

Now I feel the limits of the tires and can address it with a few tricks up my sleeve. Thus far I've kept all factors the same with the exception of the sway-bars. After experiencing the feedback they give me and the reduced body-roll I've got to increase front axle traction/bite during tight corners.

Low cost things I'm hoping will net me marginally quicker lap times by focusing on driving a smooth line....I love these Dunlop DIREZZAs!!!! I eventually need to move my powerband a touch northward to pull like a freight train in higher rev range & I think I know just the trick tongue

J
catgut
catgut
SCG Technican

Back to top Go down

Post  catgut Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:01 am

tempest24 wrote:hey wat tool was that? it looks like a cat...? hahahaha j/k

Yah Tommy, my cat wrench. Also assisted me with handing me correct tools when my boys were on break cat

J
catgut
catgut
SCG Technican

Back to top Go down

Post  catgut Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:13 am

GuamSTI wrote:Results from yeterdays race must have said it all.

Ooops...forgot to give credit to the LOCTITE. My bad Embarassed drunken

J
catgut
catgut
SCG Technican

Back to top Go down

Post  gummx97 Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:38 am

Suspect
gummx97
gummx97
SCG Vice-President

Back to top Go down

Post  catgut Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:32 am

gummx97 wrote:Suspect

Ok, ok...let me guess Rudy. My new nickname is:

"Master Jedi Direzza Ripper RalliTek Sway Bar LOCTITE Munoz"?

Am I even close??? Question Question I'm anxious! Tell me TELL ME!! Exclamation Exclamation

J
catgut
catgut
SCG Technican

Back to top Go down

Post  catgut Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:51 am

Update 8/09
Sway bars, end-links, & polyurethane sway bar bushings are holding up very well. I'm used to how these bars control the body roll and I'd say that overall I'm fairly happy with them. Only reason I'm not ecstatic about them is that I wish I had an option to adjust the rear bar stiffer but these are the non-adjustable set. Really good product though. Top notch manufacturing, customer service from RalliTek, and so far a great buy Smile

If someone is in the market for a set of stiffer non-adjustable sway bars talk to me, PM, text, call!

I may consider a nice sale price so I can move on to something more aggressive to get more adjustability out of the suspension to suit my needs.

J
catgut
catgut
SCG Technican

Back to top Go down

Post  kevinlvy Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:06 am

catgut wrote:Update 8/09
Sway bars, end-links, & polyurethane sway bar bushings are holding up very well. I'm used to how these bars control the body roll and I'd say that overall I'm fairly happy with them. Only reason I'm not ecstatic about them is that I wish I had an option to adjust the rear bar stiffer but these are the non-adjustable set. Really good product though. Top notch manufacturing, customer service from RalliTek, and so far a great buy Smile

If someone is in the market for a set of stiffer non-adjustable sway bars talk to me, PM, text, call!

I may consider a nice sale price so I can move on to something more aggressive to get more adjustability out of the suspension to suit my needs.

J

love the new modification on the subaru, might also consider doing the same on my brother's car. Also thank you for providing the pictures on the modification solid build you've got there.

kevinlvy

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2010-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post  catgut Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:51 pm

^^^^ Thanks for the comments. Glad this gave you some insight :-)

I'm still looking to upgrade to stiffer bars and suspension to suit my driving style; coil-overs or '09+ dampers with stiffer spring rates & adjustable bars will do.

If you're looking for a Rallitek sway bar set in good condition ON GUAM let me know, I'll work out a nice deal ;-) PM me if interested.

We'll see you at our meets or events/races.

J
catgut
catgut
SCG Technican

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down