Subaru Club of Guam
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brake Knock

5 posters

Go down

Brake Knock Empty Brake Knock

Post  gonzosti Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:57 pm

07 STI - Anyone ever get a knock when braking. When reversing out of my drive way and applying the brakes for the first time i hear a knock, like the brake pads are shifting back....Then move forward and apply brakes again the knock as if the pads or something has shifted forward....Tech at Prestige advised that this in normal for Brembo Brakes....Any 07 STI owners have this knock? Please advise....

Thank you for your time.
Edd
gonzosti
gonzosti
SCG Artist/Designer

Number of posts : 518
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://gonzoink.com

Back to top Go down

Brake Knock Empty Re: Brake Knock

Post  catgut Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:51 pm

I think all our cars do this to include other brands/models as well. Some models are more pronounced than others due to tolerances & brake material.

"Pad shift". Typically first movement and service brake application after cooling down it will make this noise. Noise is mostly from the pads moving in the caliper. There's always some clearance for movement & expansion (when brakes come up to operating temp) so they don't seize prematurely or bind. Some brake pads have fitting kits that limit the amount of shift but the shift that most engineers try to compensate for is during forward movement since this is majority of the operation. Rearward to some degree but expect some noise. This is normal, especially when the brakes are cool.

J
catgut
catgut
SCG Technican

Number of posts : 466
Registration date : 2008-12-03

http://guamsubieowners.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  gonzosti Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:21 pm

J,

Thank you for your prompt response. You hit it on the dot, as you mentioned it only happens when cold. I did not know that pad shift was normal, but your explination (operating temp) makes so much sense and I can breath easy now, knowing that i will slow or stop when needed. Your knowledge is greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,
Edd
gonzosti
gonzosti
SCG Artist/Designer

Number of posts : 518
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://gonzoink.com

Back to top Go down

Post  catgut Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:01 pm

NP anytime I can help I will Very Happy

J
catgut
catgut
SCG Technican

Back to top Go down

Post  gummx97 Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:58 pm

gonzosti wrote:07 STI - Anyone ever get a knock when braking. When reversing out of my drive way and applying the brakes for the first time i hear a knock, like the brake pads are shifting back....Then move forward and apply brakes again the knock as if the pads or something has shifted forward....Tech at Prestige advised that this in normal for Brembo Brakes....Any 07 STI owners have this knock? Please advise....

Thank you for your time.
Edd

Yup, i get the same thing. Only for me, it happens when I release the emergency brake and first movement whether forward or backwards, i get that "knock"...what I find annoying is when i hear that grinding noise upon first application of the brakes. It's like someone scratching their fingernails on a black board!!! affraid
gummx97
gummx97
SCG Vice-President

Number of posts : 549
Registration date : 2008-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Mmanni39 Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:11 pm

gummx97 wrote:
gonzosti wrote:07 STI - Anyone ever get a knock when braking. When reversing out of my drive way and applying the brakes for the first time i hear a knock, like the brake pads are shifting back....Then move forward and apply brakes again the knock as if the pads or something has shifted forward....Tech at Prestige advised that this in normal for Brembo Brakes....Any 07 STI owners have this knock? Please advise....

Thank you for your time.
Edd

Yup, i get the same thing. Only for me, it happens when I release the emergency brake and first movement whether forward or backwards, i get that "knock"...what I find annoying is when i hear that grinding noise upon first application of the brakes. It's like someone scratching their fingernails on a black board!!! affraid
one of the things that subie designers couldn't get down to the T those damn brakes
Mmanni39
Mmanni39

Number of posts : 186

Back to top Go down

Post  catgut Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:51 pm

Lastly, don't forget that the STi Brembos are a race bred line; the metallic content is higher for the high mu properties. Even in this day & age, brake pad material is somewhat limited to several basic formulas and it's just the nature of your STi beast to have more metal in it than a typical organic (quiet) brake set-up for conventional commuter cars.

In short, you will experience overnight brake surface rust more than usual when compared to other cars because of this fact. If parking for extended periods, more so than when driven daily. Unfortunately with our humid conditions and being this close to the sea it's inevitable and will just continue to be a thorn in our side as long as we choose to drive/own these awesome machines afro

J
catgut
catgut
SCG Technican

Back to top Go down

Post  gummx97 Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:28 am

catgut wrote:Lastly, don't forget that the STi Brembos are a race bred line; the metallic content is higher for the high mu properties. Even in this day & age, brake pad material is somewhat limited to several basic formulas and it's just the nature of your STi beast to have more metal in it than a typical organic (quiet) brake set-up for conventional commuter cars.

In short, you will experience overnight brake surface rust more than usual when compared to other cars because of this fact. If parking for extended periods, more so than when driven daily. Unfortunately with our humid conditions and being this close to the sea it's inevitable and will just continue to be a thorn in our side as long as we choose to drive/own these awesome machines afro

J

Jeez...it's almost contradictory.
gummx97
gummx97
SCG Vice-President

Number of posts : 549

Back to top Go down

Post  tempest24 Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:40 am

it actually also says in the owner's manual that when driving the car there will be some knocking or shifting noise and thats from the brakes and dccd finding the correct traction and shouldnt be a worry...
tempest24
tempest24
SCG Forum Master

Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2008-12-01

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#/tempest24?ref=profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down