Subaru Club of Guam
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SCG Musician / Music Thread

+3
GuamSTI
gummx97
catgut
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

SCG Musician / Music Thread Empty Re: SCG Musician / Music Thread

Post  catgut Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:10 am

kevin6192 wrote:
Ditto

Awesome scouting Kev! Enjoy your trip.

J

hey jesse, you play the sax?
wow me too Very Happy i play the tenor though haha

Yes I do sax the play Cool afro Been playing since 7th grade but stopped for 13-years...picked it up lately after being bugged for 4-months by our band's guitar player/vocalist. Played another year then stopped for a year (sheesh this on-again off-again thing is tiring) now I've been back with this newly formed group for almost 6-months now and enjoying it very much. Playing sax for about 6-1/2 years now total.

I started on tenor , then baritone sax, then finally alto. Soprano for a few stints but always came back to alto; I like it's tone and ease of transport Laughing I do want to start playing tenor again because some of the songs I want to play from Kirk Whalum are off the hook!!! You have to listen to this guy if you haven't already.

Anyways, some advice....don't stop playing. Keep the sax. One day you'll find it to be a very useful stress relief tool Wink trust me.

We gotta jam together someday! Rudy you hear!?!?!?! Anyways, I don't want to derail this thread anymore but we can start a new one for musicians' sake and keep this alive Smile

J
catgut
catgut
SCG Technican

Number of posts : 466
Registration date : 2008-12-03

http://guamsubieowners.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  gummx97 Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:41 am

catgut wrote:
kevin6192 wrote:
Ditto

Awesome scouting Kev! Enjoy your trip.

J

hey jesse, you play the sax?
wow me too Very Happy i play the tenor though haha

Yes I do sax the play Cool afro Been playing since 7th grade but stopped for 13-years...picked it up lately after being bugged for 4-months by our band's guitar player/vocalist. Played another year then stopped for a year (sheesh this on-again off-again thing is tiring) now I've been back with this newly formed group for almost 6-months now and enjoying it very much. Playing sax for about 6-1/2 years now total.

I started on tenor , then baritone sax, then finally alto. Soprano for a few stints but always came back to alto; I like it's tone and ease of transport Laughing I do want to start playing tenor again because some of the songs I want to play from Kirk Whalum are off the hook!!! You have to listen to this guy if you haven't already.

Anyways, some advice....don't stop playing. Keep the sax. One day you'll find it to be a very useful stress relief tool Wink trust me.

We gotta jam together someday! Rudy you hear!?!?!?! Anyways, I don't want to derail this thread anymore but we can start a new one for musicians' sake and keep this alive Smile

J

Just let me know, I can always jam, i got a small enough amp, probably one or two effect pedals, and we're good to go! I do not want to bring an entire guitar rig, those days are over killing myself over cabs, 4 x 12's, rack equipment, etc...i left those days when i used to play in Boston.
gummx97
gummx97
SCG Vice-President

Number of posts : 549
Registration date : 2008-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post  catgut Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:02 am

We asked this earlier on in our forum beginnings: Who else plays and instrument or DJs within SCG? Any spouses of SCG members do the same? Now this would be a really cool gig if we could get an SCG jam session together just for kicks Smile Maybe even as our own entertainment at one of our BBQ events someday just to burn of some calories, haha! afro

Forget how good or bad you are just jam and have fun is what I say. Heck, I'm still squeak and honk like a duck in pain on occasion but who cares?! I'm having a good time jocolor

J
catgut
catgut
SCG Technican

Back to top Go down

Post  catgut Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:12 am

Kevin! What kind of tenor sax do you play? Mouthpiece? Reeds?

Do you have a favorite musician you listen to? Have a favorite genre?

J
catgut
catgut
SCG Technican

Back to top Go down

Post  GuamSTI Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:40 am

Let's do this I will just listen and drink my very very very cold 7-up!
GuamSTI
GuamSTI

Number of posts : 748

Back to top Go down

Post  gummx97 Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:44 am

Or...we could plan to play a few songs during Crossing Lanes' gigs. So far, there's only three of us that I know of that play music. I mean, anytime other folks want to jam when I used to play, we also egg them to play more, so WE(the band) can take a break while the jammers play for free!!!

Hope I didn't give away that secret!! Thats why bands welcome people that want to jam when they gig!!
gummx97
gummx97
SCG Vice-President

Back to top Go down

Post  gummx97 Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:46 am

GuamSTI wrote:Let's do this I will just listen and drink my very very very cold 7-up!

7UP??? scratch scratch scratch scratch

how about a Shirley Temple?? Might as well keep complete the image!!! Very Happy
gummx97
gummx97
SCG Vice-President

Back to top Go down

Post  kevin6192 Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:11 pm

catgut wrote:Kevin! What kind of tenor sax do you play? Mouthpiece? Reeds?

Do you have a favorite musician you listen to? Have a favorite genre?

J

my tenor sax is the brand jupiter haha. i got it for school i play in our band. my mouthpiece? i just use the one it came with and i use vandoren reeds.
nope i dont really have any favorites. do you recommend any?
kevin6192
kevin6192

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2009-03-11

Back to top Go down

Post  catgut Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:11 pm

gummx97 wrote:
GuamSTI wrote:Let's do this I will just listen and drink my very very very cold 7-up!

7UP??? scratch scratch scratch scratch

how about a Shirley Temple?? Might as well keep complete the image!!! Very Happy

Jay, I'll make sure we have ice cold 7-UP on hand just for you Wink Yes, we need to eventually do this.

J
catgut
catgut
SCG Technican

Back to top Go down

Post  GuamSTI Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:41 am

j we have a GRF meeting tonight at 7:00 PM at VIP in Tumon. If we finish early and find a sitter I will be there at Ralphy's.
GuamSTI
GuamSTI

Back to top Go down

Post  gummx97 Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:43 pm

I saw Crossing Lanes tonight along with Slammin' Jammin' Jesse-licious from hell!! I tell you, the band is very entertaining!! That is first and foremost especially when you go to a place and listen to music. The band has good chemistry on-stage, the singers complement one another well, all in all, the elements are all there to make a full sound. Of course, nothing is perfect but and always room for improvement, but that doesn't matter. Just as long as you are entertained, it served it's purpose!!

Jesse-licious, from another musician's standpoint, is a very good sax player. He has good tone, good intonation, and mature playing (meaning he knows when to go full throttle and when to throttle back...and that takes years to develop).

SCG, do yourself a favor and make time to make one of their gigs. For my ears and taste, the band is very entertaining and Jesse-licious is one heck of a sax player. His tone reminds me of David Sanborn...no Kenny G's for cryin' out loud...!!
gummx97
gummx97
SCG Vice-President

Back to top Go down

Post  catgut Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:47 am

gummx97 wrote:I saw Crossing Lanes tonight along with Slammin' Jammin' Jesse-licious from hell!! I tell you, the band is very entertaining!! That is first and foremost especially when you go to a place and listen to music. The band has good chemistry on-stage, the singers complement one another well, all in all, the elements are all there to make a full sound. Of course, nothing is perfect but and always room for improvement, but that doesn't matter. Just as long as you are entertained, it served it's purpose!!

Jesse-licious, from another musician's standpoint, is a very good sax player. He has good tone, good intonation, and mature playing (meaning he knows when to go full throttle and when to throttle back...and that takes years to develop).

SCG, do yourself a favor and make time to make one of their gigs. For my ears and taste, the band is very entertaining and Jesse-licious is one heck of a sax player. His tone reminds me of David Sanborn...no Kenny G's for cryin' out loud...!!

Hey Rudy! Thanks for stopping by and listening to us do a couple sets Very Happy I'm glad that you found us entertaining enough to stick around and critique us; I'm always glad to hear feedback whether positive or negative...it only makes us more aware of our playing and allows us to improve in the areas we need more work in Smile Glad our music suits your taste. Definitely NO KENNY G here!!!!

I'm still in awe that you think I play/sound that well scratch seriously. I think I'm hard on myself because personally I know that my tone and skill has diminished from my high school days when I practiced hours a day and I knew my skills were much better back then. I'm so flattered that you actually mentioned "Sanborn" without Cher ever saying anything to you....she tells me that time & time again but I always disagree with her. I thought she told you to tell me that last night....funny & flattering Laughing thanks for that Rudy.

As for you, I'm just awaiting the day we can do a jam session together with some other members. I'm sure you have some hidden musical skills you're not disclosing but I'm going to withhold judgement until that day comes.....Mr. Berkley, haha! No one just plays in Boston man! NO ONE!!

Our senior band trip took us out to Boston and we toured Berkley college of music....oh boy was it a treat! Students wielding guitars on the streets everywhere! We were invited to a regional jazz competition that year and we took home second place overall! Not bad for a bunch of island kids in a tiny 12-piece combo when compared to some of the best high school bands on the east coast Cool That was truly an unforgettable experience.

SCG, come by and check our Crossing Lanes!

J
catgut
catgut
SCG Technican

Back to top Go down

Post  gummx97 Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:26 pm

aha!!! so I WAS RIGHT on David Sanborn!!! tongue I just heard the tone and the slight vibrato here and there. I used to be active in the band circuit here in Guam, few sax players that I know. I saw Jen, and another pinoy sax player in one of those pinoy bars. He's pretty good, but didn't quite match your tone.

just let me know when you want to jam, it would be good in one of your rehearsals just for me to bring my stuff and sit in, you know, just fill it up with riffs and a few notes here and there...then...when the time comes...we trade fours!!! I always liked trading fours...for slow songs, sometimes we trade two's...then, if you do get really ambitious, we can create a line and harmonize on command!!! tres cool???? maybe an eight bar phrase, three part harmony, 2 guitars and one sax!!

Cheri never mentioned David Sanborn, I swear, I just heard it through your playing!! Set it up man!!! Don't worry, my guitar gun-slinging days are over! When one gets older, you realize that we are no good or bad musicians, we are just different.
gummx97
gummx97
SCG Vice-President

Back to top Go down

Post  catgut Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:33 pm

Hey everyone, Rudy's claim that his guitar gun-slinging days are over is totally FALSE!!

He sat in with our band today on very short notice with no practice material in an "unplugged" gig...man this guy can strum a mean guitar! I swear he took to our music like a duck to water and gave us an earful of his talent, seriously! Added another dimension to our playing and made our band sound more full and complimented our current styles. Unplugged is very hard to hide any playing skill shortfalls and Rudy filled that ticket very well.

Rudy will be sitting in for our guitar player on Wednesday night (6/10/09) at Ralphy's from 9PM ~ 12AM and for our bassist on Saturday (6/13/09) at the Atrio from 10PM ~ 1AM. I'm really looking forward to his performance with us and I encourage all of you to come & take these opportunities to listen to another one of our talented SCG members play in our gigs Smile afro

I hope you can all make it at some point. Thanks in advance.

J
catgut
catgut
SCG Technican

Back to top Go down

Post  gummx97 Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:39 am

what the!!!! Evil or Very Mad your nose is growing...pinocchio!!! Evil or Very Mad affraid
gummx97
gummx97
SCG Vice-President

Back to top Go down

Post  catgut Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:39 am

I hope SCG can muster up some spectators to watch Rudy perform at Ralphy's this Wednesday night from 9PM ~ 12AM...come by for a set, pull up a chair, grab a drink, and relax Very Happy

He's been bustin' his butt to learn our songs and I'm anxious to hear him play.

J
catgut
catgut
SCG Technican

Back to top Go down

Post  GuamSTI Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:02 am

I'll try to find me a sitter for Wednesday.
GuamSTI
GuamSTI

Back to top Go down

Post  gummx97 Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:11 am

that's why i've been quiet, learning 27 songs in 4 days!! pale
gummx97
gummx97
SCG Vice-President

Back to top Go down

Post  gonzosti Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:14 pm

Same as Jay...Will try to find sitter...
gonzosti
gonzosti
SCG Artist/Designer

Number of posts : 518
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://gonzoink.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GuamSTI Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:31 am

Aside from finding a sitter we also have a GRSCCA meeting tonight.
GuamSTI
GuamSTI

Back to top Go down

Post  catgut Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:55 am

I hope you all can make it tonite @Ralphys from 9-12. Rudy rehearsed with us last night & I'm excited Smile it's not perfect but any gig has its bumps & obstacles.....ours are just very complicated obstacles, right Rudy?!? Wink

J

Last edited by catgut on Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:45 am; edited 2 times in total
catgut
catgut
SCG Technican

Back to top Go down

Post  gummx97 Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:43 am

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

huh?? pale
gummx97
gummx97
SCG Vice-President

Back to top Go down

Post  catgut Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:44 am

Rudy's obviously in a daze from cramming 27-songs into his already ominous head over the past few days, please excuse him study scratch Sleep study scratch Sleep study scratch drunken

J
catgut
catgut
SCG Technican

Back to top Go down

Post  GuamSTI Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:37 am

so how was it? Meeting took longer than expected, no sitter. Can you just play at Hooters so I can take my kids with me????? Very Happy
GuamSTI
GuamSTI

Back to top Go down

Post  gummx97 Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:51 am

hooters?? we should have our next meeting there...the food is ACTUALLY good!! scratch
gummx97
gummx97
SCG Vice-President

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum: