Subaru Club of Guam
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WRX Upgrades and I ned some help

+3
catgut
gonzosti
scoobierex
7 posters

Go down

WRX Upgrades and I ned some help Empty WRX Upgrades and I ned some help

Post  scoobierex Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:53 pm

Okay, I need suggestions and of course some help to make the WRX all it can be! I am thinking about starting off with a cold air intake and Cobb exhaust, 18" XXR 518 and some new tires. I want to make this subi of my dreams a reality. First step is where to and what do I need to do first?

scoobierex

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2009-07-15

Back to top Go down

WRX Upgrades and I ned some help Empty Re: WRX Upgrades and I ned some help

Post  gonzosti Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:41 am

scoobierex wrote:Okay, I need suggestions and of course some help to make the WRX all it can be! I am thinking about starting off with a cold air intake and Cobb exhaust, 18" XXR 518 and some new tires. I want to make this subi of my dreams a reality. First step is where to and what do I need to do first?

Looks like your off to a good start.....Group install. cheers
gonzosti
gonzosti
SCG Artist/Designer

Number of posts : 518
Registration date : 2009-01-27

http://gonzoink.com

Back to top Go down

Post  catgut Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:01 am

Depends on what your dream-WRX-vision is.

Show (aesthetics)?

Autocross (handling)?

Drag (power)?

Not having actually driven an '09 WRX, I'm not sure what your current powerband feels like but I'm certain you have more peak power than my '08 (even with my stage-2 mods) but I'm not sure where you start making usable power for autocross for example.

Give us an idea (in order of priority) of the aspects above and I'm sure we can all put our heads together for some logical suggestions to make the most of your investment.

J
catgut
catgut
SCG Technican

Number of posts : 466
Registration date : 2008-12-03

http://guamsubieowners.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  catgut Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:02 am

scoobierex wrote:Okay, I need suggestions and of course some help to make the WRX all it can be! I am thinking about starting off with a cold air intake and Cobb exhaust, 18" XXR 518 and some new tires. I want to make this subi of my dreams a reality. First step is where to and what do I need to do first?

Before we go any further....so no sale??? Convinced wife huh? Smile

J
catgut
catgut
SCG Technican

Back to top Go down

Post  gummx97 Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:53 am

catgut wrote:

Before we go any further....so no sale??? Convinced wife huh? Smile

J

this is sweet!!! hahahaha...decided to keep it, wait till you run autox when it's wet!!
gummx97
gummx97
SCG Vice-President

Number of posts : 549
Registration date : 2008-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post  scoobierex Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:56 am

The way we see it is I really want to learn how to work on the Scoob and I want to make it a fun reliable way to get around. I definitely want to make it a mix between show and racing. I will need help with my baby!

scoobierex

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2009-07-15

Back to top Go down

Post  gummx97 Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:18 pm

Well, you obviously came to the right Club!!! Let the mods begin!!! cheers cheers cheers
gummx97
gummx97
SCG Vice-President

Back to top Go down

Post  catgut Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:18 pm

Sounds innocent enough.... Shocked we'll see how far that goes Laughing

"learn how to work on the Scoob" = wrenching time and that just comes with the territory

"I want to make it a fun reliable way to get around" = as near stock as possible without extreme mods that make the car a daily chore (in my humble opinion Cool) trust me I know. I know you have a rig and you might know exactly what I'm talking about...or not.

Keep me out of aesthetic stuff but ask me anything else and I'll give my opinion. I think maybe you should drive that beast stock for awhile in some events, get to know it's strengths and weaknesses (your driving skill included; you just might find that it might not need much and you're an up-&-coming Mario Andretti) so you can just work on appearance Cool Laughing and make a more educated assessment to improve your decisions. You know we're always glad to help on here. Unless you are made of $$$$$$ and have a limitless budget....hey, talk to us!!!

J
catgut
catgut
SCG Technican

Back to top Go down

Post  gummx97 Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:24 pm

three quarters of the fun is getting there for your mods, in the true and infamous words of Jhesse....

"Keep an open mind..."

study
gummx97
gummx97
SCG Vice-President

Back to top Go down

Post  catgut Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:39 pm

Mod #1 = DAMN GOOD TIRES

Things your '09 has going for you that is an improvement over the Camry-like ride of an '08 WRX:

1. Stiffer suspension springs: +42 to 43%
2. Dampers revised for stiffer springs: more unsprung weight control
3. STi upper strut mounts: stiffer and more direct steering feel
4. Stiffer sway bars: +22 to 29%
5. Quicker ratio steering rack: Rumor scratch
6. Better factory tires: 225/45 R17
7. More output: 265HP / 244 lb-ft.

J
catgut
catgut
SCG Technican

Back to top Go down

Post  catgut Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:43 pm

Just a note.

If you're aiming for a particular class to run in for autocross, be aware that your wheel and tire choices will affect your outcome.

In a nutshell G.R.S.C.C.A. runs three classes: Stock (S), Street Tuner (ST), and Street Modified (SM).

Your limits for S and ST are a 225mm wide tire with no less than 140 tread wear. To stay in stock you have to use your factory wheels. You can upgrade your wheels and use 225mm wide tires but you get bumped to ST. Any wider tires and you go straight to SM.

J
catgut
catgut
SCG Technican

Back to top Go down

Post  subantha Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:46 am

9 BIG FOG LIGHTS ON THE FRONT BUMPER! pig scratch
subantha
subantha

Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2008-12-05

Back to top Go down

Post  dhonn17 Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:15 am

Yup Like me, Jesse put me straight to ST class hehehehe supposed to be in S class Peace Jesse..... lol!
dhonn17
dhonn17

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2009-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post  catgut Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:58 am

Just an important note on classing and my experience to help us all out:

Yes I know, going straight into ST class is a little intimidating and I'm sure most everyone wants to start in S class; I did! But, I didn't read the rules before-hand and didn't ask questions so I made some mods to my WRX out of pure excitement and need for POWER: cold-air intake, catless downpipe, catback exhaust, drop springs, & BOV. So, the tech on my first autox day put me in ST class; exclaimed that any mod to a factory turbo car bumps me to ST...he not realizing I had a catless downpipe at the time.

I ran ST for 3-races until another tech inspected my car and found the catless DP. He told me I had to run in SM class because G.R.S.C.C.A. rules state that to remain in S or ST I have keep the catalytic converter intact....bummer. Now I'm swimming with the likes of the SM sharks like Jhay (white monster STi), Manny Q. (RX-7 autox whiz), Adrian B. (aka Mr. smooth), Chris G. (Mr. skills S2000 blur), Dan D. (formidable Pink Hachi), and a serious silver Evo8 that corners like there's no tomorrow! So, in short I screwed myself by doing mods that put me into SM class (unlimited class basically) with my measly DP, intake, BOV, useless Cobb springs, and stock cr@ppy 205mm TIRES!!!! So, it was my fault for not asking questions. Guess what my next mod was? . . . . . . Direzza Star Specs = -4 seconds from my previous consistent lap times Shocked you can ask our honorable president Mmanni39 what that first day was like with those tires; it was pouring buckets afro Wink

So, G.R.S.C.C.A. has decided that within its rules the Subaru STi will fall into the ST category unmodified since it does come with a race-ready suspension from the factory and power is high (force induced)when compared to most other cars. For dhonn17 I'm still not 100% sure at this point if that still applies because of tire & wheel size and I have to discuss with the other techs and leadership of G.R.S.C.C.A. to make sure we are all in agreement about what class you fall into. I'm in full support of ST but that's only my opinion.

My lesson learned: "Ask questions first"
Otherwise you'll be easily bumped to a class that you never imagined you would be in and the learning curve goes from a slight slope to almost vertical! affraid I only wish to help everyone out by giving some guidance from the get-go so you don't accidentally put yourself into a class you never intended to be in. For me it was a challenge and still is but I pulled it off over time and it's fun! I just don't want others on here who are mere dabblers or simply just want to try out autox get intimidated more than usual and feel like they were not guided; that's pretty nerve-wracking. I wish I asked questions before but oh well, that's water under the bridge Laughing

Please ask if you need help or guidance!

**alright, back to scoobierex original thread: let's give him some mod advice!

J
catgut
catgut
SCG Technican

Back to top Go down

Post  Mmanni39 Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:24 am

very nice and you better thank your wife. I really understand how you are feeling about your subie, I think I and others can contest your situation. Jess is right along with others what do you desire, and where do you want to go with your subie? I myself have changed my style, I wanted power, power, and power, but after driving up and down from Maina to Andersen I thought it was not going to work for me. Not only that didn't want my wife to be stuck with a car she can't drive or even know what to do. Then Jay introduce me to the sport of Autocross and made more of a reason not to go with pure power but to understand the stability of my silver gaga. This is entirely up to you, we are more then happy to help you out. Let us know, a lot of knowledge here and now I can say Welcome to SCG.
Mmanni39
Mmanni39

Number of posts : 186

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum