Subaru Club of Guam
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An important note to help guide newcomers with the mod decisions they make/will make.

Go down

An important note to help guide newcomers with the mod decisions they make/will make. Empty An important note to help guide newcomers with the mod decisions they make/will make.

Post  catgut Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:38 pm

I posted this in an earlier thread when a fellow SCG member asked some questions about tires/wheels. I offer this as some beginning guidance to hopefully assist in the mod decision making process to help out. See below >>>>

Just an important note on classing and my experience to help us all out:

Yes I know, going straight into ST class is a little intimidating and I'm sure most everyone wants to start in S class; I did! But, I didn't read the rules before-hand and didn't ask questions so I made some mods to my WRX out of pure excitement and need for POWER: cold-air intake, catless downpipe, catback exhaust, drop springs, & BOV. So, the tech on my first autox day put me in ST class; exclaimed that any mod to a factory turbo car bumps me to ST...he not realizing I had a catless downpipe at the time.

I ran ST for 3-races until another tech inspected my car and found the catless DP. He told me I had to run in SM class because G.R.S.C.C.A. rules state that to remain in S or ST I have keep the catalytic converter intact....bummer. Now I'm swimming with the likes of the SM sharks like Jhay (white monster STi), Manny Q. (RX-7 autox whiz), Adrian B. (aka Mr. smooth), Chris G. (Mr. skills S2000 blur), Dan D. (formidable Pink Hachi), and a serious silver Evo8 that corners like there's no tomorrow! So, in short I screwed myself by doing mods that put me into SM class (unlimited class basically) with my measly DP, intake, BOV, useless Cobb springs, and stock cr@ppy 205mm TIRES!!!! So, it was my fault for not asking questions. Guess what my next mod was? . . . . . . Direzza Star Specs = -4 seconds from my previous consistent lap times Shocked you can ask our honorable president Mmanni39 what that first day was like with those tires; it was pouring buckets afro Wink

So, G.R.S.C.C.A. has decided that within its rules the Subaru STi will fall into the ST category unmodified since it does come with a race-ready suspension from the factory and power is high (force induced)when compared to most other cars. For dhonn17 I'm still not 100% sure at this point if that still applies because of tire & wheel size and I have to discuss with the other techs and leadership of G.R.S.C.C.A. to make sure we are all in agreement about what class you fall into. I'm in full support of ST but that's only my opinion.

My lesson learned: "Ask questions first"
Otherwise you'll be easily bumped to a class that you never imagined you would be in and the learning curve goes from a slight slope to almost vertical! affraid I only wish to help everyone out by giving some guidance from the get-go so you don't accidentally put yourself into a class you never intended to be in. For me it was a challenge and still is but I pulled it off over time and it's fun! I just don't want others on here who are mere dabblers or simply just want to try out autox get intimidated more than usual and feel like they were not guided; that's pretty nerve-wracking. I wish I asked questions before but oh well, that's water under the bridge Laughing

Please ask if you need help or guidance!

J

Last edited by catgut on Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
catgut
catgut
SCG Technican

Number of posts : 466
Registration date : 2008-12-03

http://guamsubieowners.org/

Back to top Go down

An important note to help guide newcomers with the mod decisions they make/will make. Empty Re: An important note to help guide newcomers with the mod decisions they make/will make.

Post  catgut Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:41 pm

I think some new members may need some class guidance in the new SCG era to help move the club along and keep expectations in-check. Just wanting to bring more clarity to our direction and not repeat/minimize mistakes/confusion.

I really like our current stance and direction. Good job guys!

J
catgut
catgut
SCG Technican

Number of posts : 466
Registration date : 2008-12-03

http://guamsubieowners.org/

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum