Subaru Club of Guam
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

exhaust question

+3
Mmanni39
WRB04STi
tempest24
7 posters

Go down

exhaust question Empty exhaust question

Post  tempest24 Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:50 am

hey guys,

question...

perrin sells a downpipe with high flow cat...

if i get that do i need to get the front and rear down pipe?

or does the downpipe with high flow cat cover from the header down to exhaust pipe?
tempest24
tempest24
SCG Forum Master

Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2008-12-01

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#/tempest24?ref=profile

Back to top Go down

exhaust question Empty Re: exhaust question

Post  WRB04STi Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:22 am

Yes, you will have to get both pipes. The Perrin is the shory style dp
WRB04STi
WRB04STi

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2008-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post  tempest24 Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:18 am

i see but instead of the front and rear i get the downpipe with the hi flow cat? it looks a lot longer than the front and rear set
tempest24
tempest24
SCG Forum Master

Back to top Go down

Post  WRB04STi Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:05 am

is it the perrin rear section also? I know that the front section is a direct replacement so if your high flow isnt it may need to be modified. I saw screw it snd ditch the cats.
WRB04STi
WRB04STi

Back to top Go down

Post  tempest24 Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:08 am

here is the link to the product perrin down pipe with highflow cat
tempest24
tempest24
SCG Forum Master

Back to top Go down

Post  WRB04STi Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:38 am

Oh my bad I was thinking about their other setup...sorry. With that you just take off your stock dp and 3rd cat and that replaces both pipes. That particulat pipe replaces both.
WRB04STi
WRB04STi

Back to top Go down

Post  Mmanni39 Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:42 am

tempest24 wrote:here is the link to the product perrin down pipe with highflow cat

Pete is on point.....I have the front and rear has two high flow cats when put together. Awesome down pipe.
Mmanni39
Mmanni39

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2008-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post  gummx97 Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:55 am

I read this somewhere:

A weak car can build up and maintain speed if it handles well, but a poor-handling car has to slow down for every corner.

Wondering maybe suspension upgrades are the first mods to consider first, especially with the STi beast!
gummx97
gummx97
SCG Vice-President

Number of posts : 549

Back to top Go down

Post  WRB04STi Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:55 pm

with the sti you already havea pretty beefed up suspension. I would do some power stuff to let the turbo breath better. Like a dp, turbo inlet, and better filter
WRB04STi
WRB04STi

Back to top Go down

exhaust question Empty Stromung Exhaust

Post  SCGGC8 Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:38 pm

I was wondering can a 07' STI exhaust fit on a 1995 2.2limpreza non-turbo? scratch
SCGGC8
SCGGC8

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2008-12-08

https://scguam.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  catgut Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:10 pm

WRB04STi wrote:with the sti you already havea pretty beefed up suspension. I would do some power stuff to let the turbo breath better. Like a dp, turbo inlet, and better filter

I somewhat agree but also see benefit in suspension mods. Depending on your tires & driving skill some may have different opinions and Rudy has one side that I see. When you can exceed the traction limits of your tires while maintaining control of the car and maximizing your power you are ready for more traction by way of a better set of tires or a better suited alignment or sus mods to maintain your alignment geometry under high load and/or a combination of all to stay within the class you want to be competitive in.

Cliffs Notes: Power can wait, especially with an STi. Practice driving and MAX out your tires, awesome brakes, and nicely equipped OEM sus. There's alot in that STi Tommy.....ask Brian Wink Push that car until you experience the understeer and you would appreciate more oversteer with the help of sway bars & links or powering into oversteer with DCCD settings etc. Just my $0.02
catgut
catgut
SCG Technican

Number of posts : 466

http://guamsubieowners.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  WRB04STi Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:11 am

SCGGC8 wrote:I was wondering can a 07' STI exhaust fit on a 1995 2.2limpreza non-turbo? scratch

I do believe the stock cat back will fit
WRB04STi
WRB04STi

Back to top Go down

Post  gummx97 Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:13 am

Cliffs Notes: Power can wait, especially with an STi. Practice driving and MAX out your tires, awesome brakes, and nicely equipped OEM sus. There's alot in that STi Tommy.....ask Brian Wink Push that car until you experience the understeer and you would appreciate more oversteer with the help of sway bars & links or powering into oversteer with DCCD settings etc. Just my $0.02[/quote]

I was already experiencing understeer, but that was my first autox. Tommy might have different experience. After doing some reading in the net, for the STi, especially for what we are doing (autox), I think rear sway bars and anti-lift kit would be the first mod, aside from the driver, of course.... bom
gummx97
gummx97
SCG Vice-President

Back to top Go down

Post  catgut Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:24 am

WRB04STi wrote:I saw screw it snd ditch the cats.

I agree, ditch the cats if you can find a rare Perrin DP without them....someone on NASIOC was selling one in SoCal. Asking about $300.00 for it but shipping was prohibitive but I think you could arrange to have it picked up and brought to Carson and shipped out here for a reasonable price. I'll try to find his info for you in case you're interested in this.

I do wish I had an STi turbo (VF39 or VF43) at least to get closer to 300awhp/tq but you guys are light years ahead with all those factory goodies.
catgut
catgut
SCG Technican

Back to top Go down

Post  catgut Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:40 am

gummx97 wrote:Cliffs Notes: Power can wait, especially with an STi. Practice driving and MAX out your tires, awesome brakes, and nicely equipped OEM sus. There's alot in that STi Tommy.....ask Brian Wink Push that car until you experience the understeer and you would appreciate more oversteer with the help of sway bars & links or powering into oversteer with DCCD settings etc. Just my $0.02

I was already experiencing understeer, but that was my first autox. Tommy might have different experience. After doing some reading in the net, for the STi, especially for what we are doing (autox), I think rear sway bars and anti-lift kit would be the first mod, aside from the driver, of course.... bom[/quote]

You may benefit from a good wheel alignment! Max out those camber bolts at the knuckle and leave those camber plates alone! From past experience and reading some detailed entries on our suspensions we hurt our traction and sus geometry when we get camber plates maxed out (more negative camber by moving the strut top inward/toward the vehicle centerline; this changes SAI and increases camber most especially for the outer wheel and actually ends up going positive camber hurting outer wheel traction. If you have a choice, combine your factory camber bolts along with an auxiliary camber bolt kit from Whiteline or otherwise to get a max of about -2.5 degrees camber up front and this keeps SAI where it needs to be. To increase the positive (better) effect of SAI the anti-lift kits/caster kits/PSRS kits help with this and increase traction most especially outer wheel during turns. This also helps the "jacking" effect on the outer wheel to help counter body roll too, nice Very Happy I've been paying attention to SAI, caster, and camber settings for cars that do well in tight autox and just see a pattern with front wheel alignment; more negative camber (in at the top strut mount) isn't always better from what I can see. But as all will and can argue, there are more ways to approach a problem and find a solution to it....just a matter of what path you decide to use to get to the desired results taking into account wear, trade-offs, and such.
catgut
catgut
SCG Technican

Back to top Go down

Post  tempest24 Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:54 pm

hahahaha, guys guys guys... its funny, but im not actually looking to get anything under eh hood just yet... just doing a purchase outlook for the future... and any who i might stop autocrossing for a bit to do some exterior trims for HIN09...

only becuz thats how i first got into cars... car shows!

and im looking to do some budgeting for plans of the subie...
tempest24
tempest24
SCG Forum Master

Back to top Go down

Post  GuamSTI Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:28 pm

i might stop autocrossing for a bit to do some exterior trims for HIN09

Tommy, why stop now when you are moving forward in getting the skills to push your car further? You can do both autocross does not cost much.

Last edited by GuamSTI on Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
GuamSTI
GuamSTI

Number of posts : 748

Back to top Go down

Post  gummx97 Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:21 pm

yeah!! Tommy actually won a trophy, so why stop now??
gummx97
gummx97
SCG Vice-President

Back to top Go down

Post  tempest24 Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:53 am

hahahaha, we'll see guys... i really might get bored and continue autoxing...

just cant keep up with them cone marks
tempest24
tempest24
SCG Forum Master

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down